Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Searching Patterns

I just tied two dozen Bead Head Prince Nymphs in sizes 14 and 16 - 2xl. How often and when do you fish a searching pattern (prince, pheasant tail, etc.) versus a specific pattern (stonefly, sulfur, BWO, etc.)?

Posted on: 3/4 20:32

Re: Searching Patterns

From Lancaster Pa
If I'm nymphing I usually fish a tandem rig. I'd say at least 75% of the time one of them is a hares ear of pheasant tail.

Posted on: 3/4 21:24

From Chester County
Quote:

1manwolfpack wrote:
If I'm nymphing I usually fish a tandem rig. I'd say at least 75% of the time one of them is a hares ear of pheasant tail.

+1 ^

Most often I'll rig two flies to begin the day, with one often being a Hares Ear or Pheasant Tail, which are two patterns that are consistent fish catchers. The second fly will be something to match what I believe may be hatching or is prevalent in great numbers in the stream.

As an example, in limestone streams, my second fly is likely be a scud or cress bug imitation. Another example, if If there is a certain hatch expected, I may choose to fish a nymph or pupa to match what I believe will be hatching that day.

If you are at at an unfamiliar stream, it may be a good idea to roll a few rocks or use a seine net to check out the prevalent insects present.

In addition to patterns choices, I will often choose one of my flies based on its weight to use as an anchor fly and match the weight weight to the flow and depth of the stream.

I try to be observant to detect any activity (bug or fish) and change over and match what is happening. While I like to nymph, I'll change over to dries or emerger quickly if there is any sign of rising fish. This may not always be the best way to catch a lot of fish, but I find it to be the most fun.

Posted on: 3/5 7:14

Edited by afishinado on 2018/3/5 9:24:26

From Reedsville
I always have a "searching" pattern on unless I'm fishing a stream with finicky fish.

To me a PT is a pretty good representation of a mayfly. And I catch probably 80-90% of my fish every year on some version of a PT.

Posted on: 3/5 9:21

From Snitz Crick
tandem rig always with at least one being a h/e or a pt

Posted on: 3/6 19:39

From Media, PA
I usually fish tandem as well with my heavy fly being a beadhead caddis pupa. I'll drop a lighter fly (usually unweighted) off that one tippet size lighter. Second fly will usually be a soft hackle, or a nymph that is close to whatever hatch is occurring.

Posted on: 3/6 23:21

From Media, PA
I usually fish tandem as well with my heavy fly being a beadhead caddis pupa. I'll drop a lighter fly (usually unweighted) off that one tippet size lighter. Second fly will usually be a soft hackle, or a nymph that is close to whatever hatch is occurring.

Posted on: 3/6 23:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Will you be fishing this winter?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2018/12/24 11:19
Comments?

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com