Sculpin Patterns

TLoomis

TLoomis

Hey Guys,

What's your favorite sculpin pattern? I've been trying a bunch of different patterns out this year and this one might be my favorite...aside from the regular fish skull style sculpins. Post your sculpin patterns!

PhotoGrid_1393049794422.jpg

I'm tying a new sculpin pattern. I ain't fished it yet.

Edit: This is what I'm tying...

Goblin-300x225.jpg

Nice looking sculpins.

Those are some impressive patterns. I am more of a simple guy. I find this works well. It is a color variation of a moto's minnow.

GC

Attachments

• Brown moto.JPG
    Brown moto.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 1
I've been looking for a nice sculpin pattern and you guys really tied some nice one. I ordered some mini sculpin helmets and hope to tie a few flies when they finally get here.
Bill

Nice looking tie Gc

Awesome patterns guys! Keep em coming

Size 14 muddler. I know, it's old school...

muddler_zpsf4c2faed.jpg

Forgive it's appearance he's been chewed on a little and it's the last one I have.

Provo Hooker or Chubby Muffin Variation. I'll try to get a pic to post later. They're both easy to tie. Provo might be my favorite dead drift pattern of all time, sinks like a rock.

Those are some pretty cool patterns!

+1 for the chubby muffin

imo...all of the good ones have the same things in common:

1. soft/wiggly tail material
2. dumbell (hook up) eyes
3. big wide head (material of choice to match the fishing situation)

Hard to beat a headbanger!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 3
I can see where those would be effective. Nasty looking streamers. I bet they move like a snake in the water.

been using this

Attachments

• Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 2
I've gotta start tying some of these they all look great. When John(dc410) sent me his and I fished them that got me buying the heads, looking at these ties has really got me wanting to get started on them. (especially the articulated ones, never tied them before. Nymphs yes but not streamers.)Just waiting for the hooks to hit the mail box, there are so many different ties I want to do and lately I've got so many it feels like I'll never get em done. Of course it doesn't help that I jump from one to another before I get the other amount done. No control at the bench I guess. :lol:

So I googled headbanger sculpin and the guy used 19 strand beadalon wire for the connection, the front hook was a #1 hook. I saw there was a 7 strand & a 49 strand wire as well. Any one ever use this stuff or what do you all use that works, I'm figuring on using a size 4 3xl hook for the front & a small helmet and am thinking without seeing it that the 7 strand might be good.(going by fly size/wire size, bigger/smaller) Wanted to see what works for you all before I pick something up.

Always thought the headbanger looked good. Surprisingly I've never pulled the trigger on a pack of the helmets. Are they as ridiculously heavy as they look? Or do they cast like any other weighted streamers?

Might as well give em a shot sometime.

They are heavy and tough to swing. I think they now make a xtra small head. Contemplated ordering some to try out.

I've had great success with these. Smallies luv them!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 6
DD I like that. Is that carpet yarn on the bodies? Nice ties.

GC

Back