Scud size and color ?

W

Wallyfish

Now that The holidays are in the rear view mirror, it is time to start tying again.

I usually hit Bedford County streams hard each year. I am planning to retire this year and I want to fish Spring Creek and other State College streams this year.

I have plenty of Walt's worms and Sexy Walt's already. I want to increase my collection of scuds. What is your favorite hook size and color for a scud?

I have done well on olive with an orange spot size 16 previously. But I am no expert on scuds and need some input. I also do not tie in a tail on my scuds. Thanks!

Check out the home page...also search scuds as this topic was recently discussed with some pretty good input.

Try some greys...otter and muskrat are great scud dub

I also like a 16 in tan with a pink hot spot

Thanks guys. I forgot to do a scud search.

Gray and tans are next up!

16 and 14 olive and bleached.

Usually just scud back and died or bleached ostrich (wound and clipped on top). The tying thread or mono as a ribbing.

Oh I forgot to give this tip, if you don't want to spend the extra money on scud back, some cut up latex gloves work nearly the same.

pabrookie94 wrote:
Oh I forgot to give this tip, if you don't want to spend the extra money on scud back, some cut up latex gloves work nearly the same.

I use zip lock bags sometimes. If it doesn't look right, I just take a permanent marker to the back.

I have found that the hanger shoulder straps in women's shirts is basically the same as scuds back. My wife hates them so I just cut them out after she goes shopping...symbiotic.

Back