Scud pattern

J

JohnPowers

Can anyone refer me to a good scud pattern for the lehigh valley?
Thanks

I tie a #14-#18 scud by Tying in a piece of thin wire and a piece of flash back at the bend then loop dub the color of the scuf, gray, olive, black. Loop dub to the head so it looks like a sparce bottle brush. Hares ear with guard hairs is good. Then pull the shell back over to the head, halfhitch it down and then wrap the wire. Tie off the head and that it.

The trout at the Codorus love it.

LV scuds are not going to be any different that other parts of the state.
Maurice's tie is pretty standard. I have never used black scuds, but I would add orange and tan/cream. I like swiss straw as a substitute for the flash/clear back. I throw a little tuft of hackle as the tail as well.

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/czechnymph.html

Try that in the described colors above.

I like to use sow/scud dubbing. I like to use antron for the back, and leave a few fibers for tails and feelers.

I just tied up a bunch of Tucker Scuds for a swap on another board. Here is a link to Charlie Craven's version:
http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=136
They are a bit tricky at first, but once you tie a few they become pretty simple and look very realistic.

That is a sweet looking bug.

Love that application for weaving. Now I need to find some ostrich....

I use ostrich on mine....

Olive ostrich wrapped around the hook,
covered with scud back material (olive), and
segmented with olive wire.

However, I think I'm going to try that one using the tubing.

Isn't ostrich herl one of the most fragile stems in tying material?

I cannot see weaving that against a rubber tubing. Better reinforce it with some thread or wire during the weave.

Also 10 minutes to make the underbody perfectly smooth......weaving, yer talking 15-20 minutes per fly. Thats insane for a scud.

But now I suppose I have to try this one.....just for kicks.

Reminds me of a hot chick that needs 2 hours to get ready to go out...

Mo,

I think the tubing helps keep the body smooth.

I do think theres and easier way to do it with the tubing, but it won't look quite as nice.

Just wrap the ostrich and cover with tubing. While wrapping the tubing mold the ostrich to shape.

OR

Take 4-6 strands of ostrich and tie in along the belly and cover with tubing. While wrapping the tubing hold back some of the ostrich each time.

wow - i just dub, stretch a strip of zip lock baggie over it, rib it with wire, then pick out the dubbing. Antannae/tails ares sometimes added with materials of choice depending on my mood. Doesn't look nearly as pretty as these above - but catches fish nonetheless.

A nice pattern that I have been using is Mike Hecks simple shrimp. Pretty easy to tie, and works great. Dont forget to tie some orange scuds, thats the color they turn when they die. I also tie some with hot spots. I wont go into the recipe, becuase its not my recipe, and I dont want to rob him of book sales. Maybe Mike will chime in.

mkern. That's basically a ray charles with scud back instead of mylar. Good shrimp/sowbug imitation itself...

Maurice wrote:
Isn't ostrich herl one of the most fragile stems in tying material?

I cannot see weaving that against a rubber tubing. Better reinforce it with some thread or wire during the weave.

Also 10 minutes to make the underbody perfectly smooth......weaving, yer talking 15-20 minutes per fly. Thats insane for a scud.

But now I suppose I have to try this one.....just for kicks.

Reminds me of a hot chick that needs 2 hours to get ready to go out...

Ostrich is a lot less fragile than peacock, but I did have a few break (most from hitting the point of the hook), and there is no way to recover from that! I think the 10 minutes to smooth the underbody was meant to be a comical exaggeration. But they still took about 10 minutes each to completely tie.
I can't imagine the fish will care enough to make this my go-to pattern, but it was fun to try :-D

My scud pattern is very simple. I cut a thin strip of plastic bag (a Ziplock bag works fine). Tie that in the rear of the fly along with my ribbing (wire or mono), dub the body, stretch the plastic over the top, tie it off, wing around the ribbing and tie off. I pick out some dubbing on along both sides for legs and I'm done. Just a couple of minutes / fly.

afishinado wrote:
My scud pattern is very simple. I cut a thin strip of plastic bag (a Ziplock bag works fine). Tie that in the rear of the fly along with my ribbing (wire or mono), dub the body, stretch the plastic over the top, tie it off, wing around the ribbing and tie off. I pick out some dubbing on along both sides for legs and I'm done. Just a couple of minutes / fly.

Yep - exactly what i tried to describe above. I'm all about simple and quick to tie.

(then i don't feel so bad when i lose one!)

we all know we tie to please ourselves not the fish ....

troutslammer wrote:
we all know we tie to please ourselves not the fish ....

edit: nevermind....

Back