Scissors - serrated vs. no serrations

jbomb

jbomb

I am looking into getting some quality scissors. I was curious about the advantages of one blade vs the other. I currently have two sets of non-serrated scissors, one is poor quality the other has been "good enough." Both came with sets.

Really I don't think there is much of a difference. Serrated are supposed to be better for cutting hair and slick materials, where the non serrated blades the material can slip. I just picked up a pair of Allen arrow points that were 50% off and they are micro serrated and have a notch at the bottom of the blades for cutting wire and stuff like that. They work well all around and only cost like $4.75. They work pretty well for the small stuff also. I don't have any fancy high dollar non serrated scissors to compare them to but they do compare to $15 Dr. Slicks.

Interesting. The only "problem" i have with my current scissors is when clipping the materials that you described (elk/deer hair, CDC and kip tail). Perhaps I'll try the $5 option you described.

Thanks!

Check under deal of the week in Allen's site. They had more styles but they are almost all gone. But I just checked and they still have some of the 3.5" arrow points left.

Here is how i'd go.......invest the largest part of $ in a pair of German made fine point non-serrated ones. Buy a moderately priced pair of serrated with what you have to work with. To be set up proper i think you should spend about $30 bucks.

i use a large pair of fiskar scissors for cutting things like foam sheet or items where i want a long straight line

3209.gif

i use my dr slick scissors with the serrated blades for just about everything else, including any kind of wire (thats what the notch is for)

scissors.jpg

i've had those dr slick scissors when i moved back to connecticut in 1991. never been sharpened, but never been abused

This is what I do as well. Different scissors for different jobs, my wife commented once about the amount of scissors I have. You just don't know about them until you get them to the table.

Back