San Juan Worms (More fun with Sharpies)

F

Fishidiot

San Juan Worms have long been "go-to junk" for me. I like 'em in smaller sizes, about 2" in length and often in muted colors with a contrasting collar color. Of course, SJWs are often best in wild colors and, if tied with lighter colored chenille, allow for some fun with Sharpie markers. A cream or pink SJW with purple or red bands is a killer. Sometimes if you let some head cement bleed into the colored sections it changes the color of the marking making for some neat effects.

Fun.

Now for a sophisticated fish like smallmouth bass, this goofy stuff won't impress 'em much. Wild trout on the other hand....they'll eat these worms like candy. :)

Attachments

• Sharpie Worms.jpg
    Sharpie Worms.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 12
I'll bet the fish do hit them well - they look like gummy worms

Wow! Dave that picture reminded me of my old buddy Pete, (gone many years ago). He'd come up with stuff like that and it would naturally work! I always passed it off as him having been a hippie back in the day, but apparently great minds think alike! lol

DaveS wrote:
Wow! Dave that picture reminded me of my old buddy Pete, (gone many years ago). He'd come up with stuff like that and it would naturally work! I always passed it off as him having been a hippie back in the day, but apparently great minds think alike! lol

Attachments

• Hip Hop Dave.jpg
    Hip Hop Dave.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 9
Very interesting. That would make a great attractor with a small midge droped off the back.
This idea will be tried this week.
Thanks Dave

Now that's hilarious - I love it!

No doubt - I'm channeling my inner hippie.

"Tie flies, make love, not war!"
:-D

JackM wrote:
High-five!

"Hey, hey, LBJ...how many flies did you tie today?"

How am I doing Jack? Think I've got counterculture potential? I'm liking this new hippie flower power thing.
Hhmmm....Tie died flies anyone?
:-D

Whhef,
Thanks. I like bright San Juan Worms as droppers with conventional nymphs and they often out fish the nymph. It would be worth trying a midge dropper too. Perhaps if the fish are actually keyed on midges in skinny water one of these things might be more likely to spook 'em. SJWs have been a particular favorite of mine during the colder months as a winter fly for probing deep runs and pools when there's some stain in the water.

You have counter-culture written all over you, FI.

"Say are you going to San-fran-cisco? Be sure to have some feathers in your hand."

you guys ever use the ultra chenille that is from The bug shop??? glo bug yarn place??

That would be a great T-shirt Superimposed over a Peace sign made of peacock sword! Tie-dyed naturally. lol.

DaveS wrote:

That would be a great T-shirt Superimposed over a Peace sign made of peacock sword! Tie-dyed naturally. lol.

I'll take three in large, please.

We can pretend the Spring Jamboree is an Occupy The Trout Stream protest movement.

Incidentally, FI, nice worms. I am not good at underwater fishing with a fly casting apparatus, but I used to use real worms for trouts on the ultralight and get a few. Any tips on fishing these?

Has it increased hits since you started doing that?

Back