Salmon flies

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Well it's almost that time of year. I'm probably headed to the Salmon River this year for the first time for a chance at some kings and cohos. I have a full set of flies for Erie steelhead but know I need a few different things for salmon. What would you suggest as a top 3-5 patterns.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Ry,
try bosses,comets,estaz buggers,estaz eggs,big black kauffmann stone nymphs in black &brown, this will get you into fish.

Egg sucking leeches?

I got anger strikes by swinging big bunny hair streamers right in front of the faces of fish holding in shallow riffles. I don't really think color is important.

Thanks Alby. I've come into an addiction for slumpbusters this year. Caught a bunch of fish on them.

Pretty much everything that has been said plus big golden stones. Size 8 and larger...

i tied a few slump busters with rabbit hair for this year i also like to add a zonker strip to the top of a crystal bugger with wire matuka style few tqakes on that last year

i have a question since we are all frothing at the mouths witht he talk of chrome and other salmonoids a simple question will dumbell eyes make the hook ride up if the hook has an upturned eye?

Ryan,

I'll humbly disagree with albatross, but under the condition that I may be performing a little spooky science with my observations.

My experience with the salmon run is that you should pick as few patterns as possible, and maximize the colors.

Estaz eggs - as many colors as possible
Globugs - as many colors as possible
Stoneflies - as many colors as possible
Large bunny leeches - you get the point
Small bunny leeches - again
San juans (LW Super juan) - yep
Crystal meth - yessir
Comets - roll that beautiful bean footage
Green weenies - GREEN!!!!

That's my box. So basically, a magic rainbow of colors, with a few green weenies.

When red is working, any of the above in red seems to work for me. So and so forth.

Most importantly, if it takes more than a few steps to tie, DO AWAY with it. I love to tie flies, but I like to do it for fish that get selective. The salmon river eats flies like cereal. You tie one box of fancy flies and lose them in 3 days, and you'll never do it again.

I get persnickety with my steelhead flies, but not for the big slobs.

flipnfly wrote:
i have a question since we are all frothing at the mouths witht he talk of chrome and other salmonoids a simple question will dumbell eyes make the hook ride up if the hook has an upturned eye?

Depends on the fly pattern and the location of the eyes. They should obviously be tied on top of the hook, but the materials could flip it, since some of these patterns have lots of them

I'd toss a few in the bathtub to make sure before tying a bunch.

what's the difference between a bunny leach and a slumpbuster?

Bunny leech is easier to tie (marginally so), and uses fewer materials (just 1). You can also wrap the entire shank with as much lead as you want, versus a slumpie that would look like a fat person in a tiny jacket if you did that.

I, personally, think a bunny leech looks better in the water and draws more aggression strikes. Slumpies have the bright underside to imitate sculpins. These fish care not about sculpins.

http://www.riverbum.com/Bunny-Leech-White/

Tie in the tail, "palmer" the body, admire. Cross-cut strips work best for the body, but are not even remotely necessary.

More evidence for my color theory:
I'd toss a dark blue bunny leech and move a fish. 10 minutes later, nothing. Toss a baby blue, move a fish. 10 minutes later, nothing. Toss a purple leech, move a fish. Etc.

I'll add that I much prefer slumpies for trout.

Bring your steelhead flies too. They will be in, as will the browns. I have had the most success with flesh flies during the run. Get yourself some flesh colored (off-white, occasionally pinkish) bunny for that and get creative.

I fish the SR quite a bit and I think everyone has covered all the bases, pretty well. ESL's, Comets (especially pink), estasz patterns, bunny streamers and stonefly nymphs should cover you for the kings and ho's.

Unless they're full dress, really balling flies, my opinion is that if it looks gaudy enough like it would have fallen out of David Bowies *** in the 70's, it'll catch salmon.

Lol. I'm gonna call my next salmon streamer "the freddy Mercury" in honor of that post, wsender. Haha!

wsender wrote:
like it would have fallen out of David Bowies *** in the 70's

that the kinda thing you larn about in your fancy music schools?

I made the clown phallus two years ago.

It sat in my box unused for a long time. I fished a ditch of an ATW in central PA for the opener, and saw a few quill gordons hatch, but that's it.

Naturally, it was time to tie it on.

It was a hit. I may still have it. It's going on at dawn day one if I still live in the humidor.

If not, I'll throw it at dawn on the madison. :)

jayL wrote:
I made the clown phallus two years ago.

Pics, or 1000 words, or gtfo.

Camera being flaky, and patience low. This is what I get for using an unstable ROM. I know, I know. Of all people to say that to...

Anyway.

Tail: Chartreuse marabou, red krystal flash, and flashabou
Body: blue crystal braid
Colar: pink marabou
Head: chartreuse estaz

Let me try to get the camera working. Or go to bed. One or the other.

Lead and the ability to properly floss is crucial.

Someone needed to throw it in there right?

Back