Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Salmon flies

From Lancaster New York
Few people fished Erie and almost nobody fished OH. There was plenty of room to have a pool to yourself to sight fish.

Man, I miss those days.

Posted on: 2011/8/6 21:29

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

pspaint wrote:
Man, I miss those days.

Feeling old, buddy?

I dunno, you seem to keep getting younger every year. How do you do that?

Another month or two, and we'll have to gather our brothers for a bit of Little J action. Also, we have an Erie Steelhead Jam here on PAFF. Should be early November sometime (?).

It'd be nice to fish with you, Dave, and Joe more than one week a year. Tell 'em I said hello when you talk to them.

H.A.

Posted on: 2011/8/6 21:48

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
once I have a few seconds to breathe I'll plan the Steelhead JAM again. Mostly likely it'll be the first weekend or two in November. My favorite time of year for steel. Leaves are gone, not too cold yet, and the run is full force.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 15:04

Here's my boxes so far. Just need another 100 or so and I'll feel comfortable.

What do you think?

Attach file:

jpg  salmon-steel flies.jpg (31.45 KB)
227_4e7a424d49afe.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2011/9/21 16:00

From Lancaster Co.
Speaking as someone who has never managed to land a steelhead on the salmon river and only hooked and eventually lost one late running chinook while fishing for steel in November I will tell you that my occasional hookups came on pink eggs. My best fish landed up there was a brown that I estimate went 15 pounds, and he took a pink egg in the Clay Hole on the DSR. I actually caught a laker that ran up the river and he too came on a pink egg. If I ever go back, the first thing I put on will be a pink egg.

Maybe just a suggestion - Whitaker's sells a lot of egg type flies that use estaz. I copied quite a few after seeing what they had in their bins. Maybe add a few more of those?

You will lose flies up there. Might want to take your vice and some basic materials along. After a long day on the water, when you kick back with a cold one and BS with your buddies you can always tie more egg patterns.

First steelhead I hooked up there was big and had me in my backing so quick I had no idea what was going on. Whacked my knuckles on my reel handle at some point during the fight and had a couple fat fingers for two days. Awesome. Hope you experience some of the same. Have fun.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 16:17

yeah as of right now there's around 15 of each color of the estaz in the small box on the upper left. I plan to double that, and fill in all the empty spots of my yarn box. I have around 60-70 streamers and want at least 100 before I leave.

I'll bring my vise and plan on tying a few if I run out, but I'd rather be more than prepared before I go.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 16:26

From Lancaster Co.
Any stone fly patterns in those boxes? See a lot of them up there too. Natural colors and other colors like purple, chartreuse, etc.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 16:29

I tied up a few stone fly patterns this last week. After a few that took too long I took JayL's advice. Cactus Chinelle (thick estaz) and rubber legs in black and purple with a large bead. That's it.

I just can't leave a fly shop without spending at least $25. I just bought more estaz, zonker strips, cone heads and tippet today. I've done that on a weekly basis for about 6 weeks getting ready for this trip lol. I better be prepared!

Posted on: 2011/9/30 12:47

From Lancaster Co.
Yes - that pattern sounds like the basic type of stonefly pattern they use up there. Stop in Whitakers while you're there. They have an extensive inventory of tying supplies and you'll see what the locals are selling. Lots and lots of estaz, chenille, etc. I have been following your posts and I think you are more than prepared both numbers and patterns wise.

If you don't have some larger size split shot get some. Typical bb size that's fine for Erie is small for up there. You can go through a lot of shot too.

Posted on: 2011/9/30 13:25

From Bozeman
I recommend all seasons over whitakers, for both selection and price of tying materials.

Whitakers is a very good shop, though.

Posted on: 2011/9/30 13:31

From SE PA - Montgomery County
How about some dark orange, deep red and cerise colored eggs. Most of the eggs in your box are on the lighter side.

Posted on: 2011/9/30 16:19

the red yarn eggs in the upper right are fairly dark. (there's another row that's cut off) also there's estaz in a red too. I've typically had more success with lighter colors, but know others work better in other conditions. Maybe it's just confidence with certain patterns.

I did add some light pink and dark pink estaz eggs today and some purple zonkers.

Posted on: 2011/10/1 19:38

Well I packed up my tying supplies for my trip. Leave tomorrow at around 5pm.

The pic above looks very similar except a few small holes filled in, the other side of the estaz box has a row of light pink and a row of dark pink, and the large box where the estaz box is sitting has a row of purple zokers and a row of black and purple stone flies.

I think I'm ready. If not, then at least I tried!

Posted on: 2011/10/5 12:26

From Bozeman
I fished large pink and chartreuse bunny leeches, and white buggers with various bright chenille bodies. This was easily the best trip I've had up there for salmon fishing. Steel, not so much, but they are starting to show up in good numbers.

I am sure other stuff worked, but the fish were incredibly aggressive this year.

Posted on: 2011/10/5 12:56

Quote:

jayL wrote:
I recommend all seasons over whitakers, for both selection and price of tying materials.

Whitakers is a very good shop, though.

+1, +1000 really

All seasons is probably my favorite shop for tying supplies. I bought an ENTIRE pheasant skin there last fall for $12.

Posted on: 2011/10/5 13:18

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com