Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Saddle Hackle vs. Cape Hackle
From Chester County
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
better living thru genetic engineering...

Come back when they can genetically engineer me up a frying chicken with four legs.. Til then, its not better, its only more convienent. ;)

Here ya go..........

Attach file:

jpg  4legdchikn1.jpg (72.79 KB)
53_4a326c7d257bf.jpg 255X345 px

Posted on: 2009/6/12 10:56

From SEPA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Here ya go..........

Huh, thank God I didn't ask for my first thoughts on the benefits of genetic engineering..

Posted on: 2009/6/12 10:59

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

JackM wrote:
I tie only on an as needed basis and buy about 50% of what I go through in a year. I find the 100s more economical because I have little use for hackles above #12 or below #16. I usually buy light ginger in #14, cream in #14-16, medium dun in 14-16, brown in #12-16 and grizzly in #12-14. These last me a few years, depending. I couldn't see buying necks even at $30-$40 to be worth it, let alone for $90.

yeah, I would never pay $80 - $90 for a #1 grade neck either.
I always buy #3's, which are currently selling for around $35.
I just go somewhere that they have a large selection - FFP in state college is the best IMO - and check them out good before buying.
Mark and I have also split the cost of a few necks and cut them down the middle. Pretty economical to buy them then

Posted on: 2009/6/12 11:09

From wellsboro
I usually buy the majority of my tying materials from FFP, but they carry Metz hackles and I prefer Whiting. I usually buy the silver grade, the last time I bought one a half neck was 33 dollars. They are much stronger and easier to tie with for a variety of reasons. As several others said I tie flies in a variety of sizes so i buy necks over 100 packs.
On a side note, I recently bought a retirees tying stuff as he was moving and could no longer tie. The necks available now are unbelievable compared to ones available as recent as ten to fifteen years ago. The amount of usable feathers and the overall quality is amazing. I do not know how guys tied decent 18's back before some of the advancements, much less smaller flies.

Posted on: 2009/6/17 14:52

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
When I first started tying, I used to use what my old fly tying instructor called Indian necks. I'm sure that they are of inferior quality. But my flies still floated and worked quite well.

I have a few indian necks. Bought them when I first started tying because they were cheap and I didn't know what I was doing. They are very inferior. Smaller feathers, quills don't always bend right, and barbs are not of good quality. Yes I still tie flies with some of them, but I'd spend the money and get a good cape/saddle.

Posted on: 2009/6/17 18:51

From Monessen, PA
I did the same as you when I first started tying. Now the Indian Hackles are used for tails on dries and nymphs and beards/legs on wets.

Posted on: 2009/6/17 19:31

From either at the tying desk or on the river
Got this one today. 75 bucks. OUCH!!! I may mount it under glass and tie nothing but Compara Duns.

Attach file:

jpg  Whitting Saddle.jpg (793.29 KB)
2157_4a3d6d2401d83.jpg 1264X2464 px

Posted on: 2009/6/20 19:13

From SE PA
Bought a Grizzly saddle from Fly Tyers Heaven in Sunbury for $25 last year. The whole saddle was size 18. You can get 10 - 15 flies from a single feather. Unless your buying the high priced top name brands you have to see the hackle yourself and determine the quality.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 7:55

Jack,
Personally, I can give you no compelling reason to buy a cape over a saddle. Most flies that you tie are between 18-14. Given that alone, you will have tremendous waste with a cape. When tying fully hackled catskill style dry flies, I have found that given a quality saddle, I can tie more flies in a shorter period of time. A few tiers that I know who tie commercially only tie with saddles for this reason. With a saddle, I can usually tie several flies with one feather. With a cape, it is basically one feather for one fly. There are exceptions to this, of course, but normally, I either have to pick out a number of feathers ahead of time or find a new one as I tie each fly. With a quality saddle, I have found barb size and density to be fairly consistent as you would also expect from a quality cape.

I think that it is more difficult to choose the right cape. Color certainly is important. Dyed vs. natural as well. I believe there are more choices available to the average tier in the capes vs. saddles from this respect. Maybe those commercial guys are hording all of the best natural saddles! Tiers also focus on the number of micro hackles a cape has. Of course this doesn't matter if you don't usually tie smaller than 18. What really matters is the number of hackles between 18-14, their length and their density. I have a number of Whiting silver label capes that I bought years ago that still have 2/3's of their hackles but no more 18-14 sizes. Choosing a saddle, in my opinion, takes alot of the guesswork and waste out of the process without sacrificing any significant quality. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Cheers, Mike

Posted on: 2009/6/23 9:48

From Monessen, PA
Thanks again everyone for responses.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 17:05

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com