Rs-II

JohnnyUtah

JohnnyUtah

Twisted up some RS-II for the fall bwos, and I did a video in the process.

Enjoy.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLdRsEeiUWU&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Well done sir !

We're going to be meat waffles.

Nice instructions. Good looking fly.

Very nice!!

Nice video Johnny. I'm curious about how the CDL tails hold up when nymphing? I've used a thicker bunch of CDL for dry fly tails, but would have thought it to be too fragile for such a sparse tail. I never liked microfibbets which a lot of people use on this pattern, so I usually just tie without a tail or with a shorter, denser hackle fiber tail. I'm sure it matters little to the fish, but the sparser tail like you tied just looks better to my eye.
Mike.

Thank you- Bruno
Thank you- stagger
Thank you whhef

Thanks Mike,-
I have nymphed the rs-2 bouncing bottom and trout after trout the cdl remains. Its a very tough material. I dont like microfibets one bit. They break very easily. I am with you on the tails... I dont think fish really mind if the tails are there, I tie all my spinners tailless and many other patterns as well. The only time I generally tie tails is if they serve a purpose such as ballast or action.

I put them on the rs-2 i twisted up because i also like to fish them on the surface or just tucked in film. The tails help balance the fly. Ones I fish down and dirty, i dont bother with the tails. Of coarse Rim says that the tails are very important and are more effective split.... I havent seen a difference.

I've been using it more and more on my nymphs. CDL is as durable as any natural stuff I used. Much more so than woodduck, phesant, hen, etc. Makes a great tail when you want something a little less bold.

I got to tell you, I so enjoy your videos. Seems like you are sitting there in the room with me. Explain everything. And you tie some pretty nice bugs. I love easy flies with a couple of materials that work! Thanks there Mr. Utah!

Thank you for your kind words Foxgap.

Just wondering, i hear people say at a certain size no need for tails. What size do most of you stop adding that extra step?

I generally go 20 and smaller No tails.

In general, the smaller the fly, the less "accurate" it has to be. The fish has very little to see "wrong" with it. Larger bugs and their imitations are scrutinized easier.
This is why an Al's trico works so well, but the same fly tied as a green drake would never get a look.
Having said that, there have been many instances that an Al's trico was refused several times and the same fish has eaten a more accurate imitation on the first cast. This has happened almost exclusively on fish that have been caught a few times, are larger than average and see a whole lot of flies in a season.
For me, I tie dry flies without tails only 24 and smaller, but also have more accurate imitations as well.
I haven't done this on size 20's, so I can't comment.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
I generally go 20 and smaller No tails.

Is that for all size #20 hooks?

Or perhaps only when you have 1x short hooks?

That would be for all. No matter the shank.

Can one still use this pattern this late in the year Mr. U?

Just wondering what flies / videos i should focus on and tie up of yours for the up coming months?

Thanks..

StaggerLee wrote:
Can one still use this pattern this late in the year Mr. U?

Just wondering what flies / videos i should focus on and tie up of yours for the up coming months?

Thanks..

Absolutely. I fish an Rs2 all year.

Focus on sub-surface flies. As we move into winter, I become more of a midge fisherman. I will be putting up more videos of midge flies.

A great pattern!

Great is a good word, but i would go with phenomenal! Its so simple yet so effective. Hats off to Rim

Back