Red fox

NateFollmer

NateFollmer

A buddy of mine at work gave me a tanned red fox that he couldn't use for anything (blew a big hole in the side of it when he shot it). What are some good parts to use on a red fox? I'm a complete tying newbie so I don't even know where to begin with this! Are there any parts of the fur that I shouldn't use? And what are some good patterns that can be tied with fox?

the whole hide can be used fro streamers, salt water, dubbing etc. do a google search for patterns useing fox.

Nate,
Welcome to PAFF. You're lucky to have the red fox hide as its versatile and should provide enough fur for a lifetime. If it were me and I didn't have other plans for it, I'd cut it up into little sections that can fit into zip loc bags and maybe trade the pieces for other materiels that friends have - or donate the pieces to a local TU chapter looking for small scale stuff to give away or raffle ticket at meetings. Hold on to the tail though.

Anyway, red fox is mainly used for nymphs and streamers. The short hair on the legs usually has a mix of red, white, and black that makes a nice nymph material when mixed with some dubbing. The longer body hair and tail hair makes nice streamers.

Thanks for the replies! I didn't find much info on red fox hair so I didn't know how useful it would be. All I have tied so far is a bunch of wooly buggers, so I think it's time to branch out a little :) I'll cut this fox up and get it into manageable pieces and see if anybody wants to trade, if not, I'll give some to TU (pretty sure theirs one here in Mifflin County).

The original Hendrickson dry fly called for urine stained Red Fox belly hair!

Back