Realistic nymph patterns

MKern

MKern

Does anyone know of a site that has realistic nymph patterns that don't take 3 days to tie and can be fished.
I have some that friend have tough me and ones I came up with on my own, but I'm looking for a encyclopedia of recipes.
Can anyone help?

try this site ..,www.realisticflytyer.com ....there was an article in the latest issue of fly tyer tying a caddis pupa from that site, looks like there`s alot of info on the site, if you register do me a favor and let me know if you get access to the site, i registerd on feb 21 i got an e-mai from the site welcoming me but the administrator would have to athuorize and i would recieve another e mail as when i could log in , well i`ve tried contacting the site but all i get is a return delivery on my e-mails and if i try to reregister it says that my e-mail is already in use !!!!

Hey Kern, doesnt get much easier .. or more realistic looking than this one.... http://www.hatchmasters.ca/Easy%20Stone.htm

It's actually one from the site mentioned in the previous post.

lots and lots of flies on this site... you do enough searching you can find some very very realistic flies. here's one i came upon and prob couldn't tie it in a million years. Had it in another post.

http://flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=flyshow&showid=3980

sometimes the pic comes up... sometimes it doesnt. but the site has thousands of flies on it.

Matt,

A great book with realistic patterns that can be tied with too much hassle is "Fly Fishing For Pressured Trout" by Lloyd Gonzalez. It is a fairly new book that has a lot of info other than patterns. He is an extremely knowledgeable fisherman from SC PA, and the patterns and info is very relevent for our area. You can buy it or try to find it at a library. I believe that he even peeks in on this site.

I'll probably never try it, but this cellophane wing from the site that ryguyfi posted is pretty cool......... http://flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=flyshow&s=$s&showid=4512

here's atleast one more from that site... check out that spider!!!

http://flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=flyshow&s=$s&showid=4255

http://flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=flyshow&s=$s&showid=4082

http://flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=flyshow&s=$s&showid=3953

third link... searching for a black stone fly recipe... thats how i came upon the link. Pretty realistic if you ask me

I’ve toyed with realistic flies for a while. I have tied some real beauties, by my eye, some of my own design, and others from recipes in books or on the net. What really counts is what seen from the fish’s eye, and I’m sad to say, they haven’t been too impressed. One exception is the wiggle nymph, which has shown some promise with its unique movement. IMO stiff legged stiff bodied reproductions don’t move like the naturals in the water. In fact, some realistic flies spin or turn upside down in the water if not tied properly. What looks good in the vise may not work well in the water.

I’ve had more success with a more impressionistic approach utilizing materials that have more lifelike movement in the water - soft hackle for legs, spiky dubbing for gills, marabou or ostrich for movement, etc. IMO, realistic patterns should incorporate those materials to be effective.

Some realistic patterns can take a half hour or more to tie, and are only as effective, or not even as effective, as many general impressionistic patterns that are easy to tie. I believe the perfect fly should imitate nothing in particular yet have qualities that many insects exhibit. For instance, I fish a lot with a bead head hares ear. It can represent a caddis larva, pupa, mayfly nymph, etc. Not an exact copy of any insect, yet it has appearance and qualities of many. A wooly bugger can look and move like a large nymph, a minnow, a leech, etc. It is another universal fly.

Think of all the spinning and bait casting lures that catch fish. Almost none are very realistic, but because of action, movement or flash, they catch fish. Now think of the rubber hellgrammite made for spinning rods years back – it was formed to make a near perfect imitation the real thing, yet didn’t catch fish, at least for me.

It’s fun tying and experimenting with super realistic flies. They are more likely to end up in a shadow box than on your tippet. Show and tell some of your realistic flies. I would be interested in your experiences on the water. As I mentioned earlier, the only semi-realistic fly that I spend time tying is a wiggle nymph, because of its unique movement. It catches fish in tough situations where most other flies fail. Good luck.

"Some realistic patterns can take a half hour or more to tie"

takes me half an hour to tie a basic nymph lol

Afishinado, your experience is backed up by what I have read. It already takes me too much time to tie the simple flies. Even if they did work well, I couldn't see spending an hour or 2 to tie a fly with perfect legs and antennae, just to have them torn off by the first fish I catch. Fortunately here's one time when the easiest way works best. Tying those realistic flies is great if you're doing it for show or as a hobby, but IMO it's not woth it for catching fish.

This is about as well as i could do at the time... been about a year since i tied them. The recipe i got from is here... Virtual Stonefly. As for the fishability of the fly, i cant really say as i made them for a gal i know in California. I'll have to ask her how they worked out or if she even ever used them....

060510.jpg

JoelD,

that link is amazing. It has a ton of products that make realistic tying easier. The wings, burners and materials are out of this world. I wish I had a hundred $ to spend on that stuff.

awesome stonefly joelD, wonder how it would fish with some rubber legs for movement I might be wrong but i think it was the late Gary LaFontane when he was doing his underwater study of how fish reacted to different flies as previous post stated the realistic style tyed nymphs didn`t do well

Gary LaFountaine published a book listing his patterns, how they were developed, and how to fish them. I believe it’s called something like “Trout Patterns”, but don’t recall the exact name of the book. Anyway, if you go through the patterns, most look like no more than dust bunnies, belly button lint on a hook, and fly tying experiments gone array. Gary did research underwater with trout to develop patterns that contained “triggers” to fish to identify the flies as food. A lot of the patterns work, yet none are realistic, to our eye anyway. It seems that our perception and the fish’s perception of things in the water are quite different.

It’s a very interesting approach to fly tying and fishing and opens up a whole new world – or confuses the world of fly fishing even more, which ever way you look at it. It would seem that all you have to do to catch fish is tie up an exact imitation of an insect, cast it out, and reel the fish in – it doesn’t seem to work that way.

To afishinado's point.

There are two main qualities which I look for in a fly.

Does it look like something?

Does it act like something?

These flies are very heavy on the looks aspect. The bottom lone, though, is that they act nothing like the real thing. Nymphs tumble through riffles, but they do so in a natural way. They are upright and swimming.

The old favorite nymphs conquer this with simplicity. There are two easy ways to make a fly act natural: Make it look the same from any angle (so they are always upright), and add moving parts such as soft hackles (so they look like they are swimming).

I think there is something to be said about the simple effective patterns in this light.

That aside, those realistic nymphs do look fun to tie.

Advance search...."from the begining"

There is a wealth of knowledge in PAFF.com

Back