Realistic Crab Fly

F

Fishidiot

Been toying with crab flies for years. This one's a bit stiff for fishing but (I think) it's fun to tie realistic and helps the tier better recognize and understand the physical characteristics of certain prey species.

Attachments

• Fly11.jpg
    Fly11.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 20
So you have been toying with crabs for years huh? Sounds like something you might want to have the doctor check out. LOL. Just kidding. The fly looks great. What material did you use for the back and claws?

:lol:

The materials used in this fly (mostly) are a combination of acrylic paint, craft felt, and gel modeling paste. The underside is "furry foam." Crab fly versions that I use for fishing usually involve softer legs made of rubber band or hackle tips.

love it, although i'd hate to see all that work crushed by a 15lb redfish. Its probably not to stiff either, I would imagine eating a whole live crab is pretty crunchy.... just cast it to the edge of an oyster bed where reds are cruising and hold on!!

very nicely done, would fool a permit for sure..

sandfly wrote:
very nicely done, would fool a permit for sure..

Thanks. I'd like to believe so.

Someday I'll get that permit on a fly. In the meantime, it's been a lot of fun experimenting with crab fly style and design.

Back