Ray Charles durability?

Deuterium

Deuterium

I have not fished the Ray Charles pattern, and when I tied some last night, I started to worry about the durability of the mylar flashback. I tied the first ones without a wire rib and then tied a couple with a rib.

Before I tie anymore, for those that tie and fish them, do you tie them with a rib or not?

rib if I tie them..

I don't bother ribbing. Doesn't seem to hurt anything. I consider the ray to be a quick and easy junk food pattern. No need to complicate it, and I can tie a few dozen quickly.

I don't use a rib and it's such an easy tie that if it comes apart I just strip the hook and tie another.

What jay said.

Thanks for your thoughts.

jayL wrote:
I don't bother ribbing. Doesn't seem to hurt anything. I consider the ray to be a quick and easy junk food pattern. No need to complicate it, and I can tie a few dozen quickly.

How much time does it take to add ribbing to a pattern? 10 seconds, 30 seconds tops? It is worth it to me. Adds durability and to a lesser extent segmentation. Also adds a little weight especially in the smaller sizes which is all I tie these in anyway.

Ribbed with mono... for durability and segmentation

Chooch wrote:
jayL wrote:

How much time does it take to add ribbing to a pattern? 10 seconds, 30 seconds tops? It is worth it to me. Adds durability and to a lesser extent segmentation. Also adds a little weight especially in the smaller sizes which is all I tie these in anyway.

Traps fibers, adds bulk, adds weight, restricts movement. None of those are desirable for me. I don't think it is worth it. Never had a problem with durability with this pattern, and I fish them a lot. To each his own

I've tied about 40 today. Dai-Riki #075 sz 16. No ribbing on any.If you fold back the mylar for a double tie down effect it will be durable enough.

jayL wrote:
Chooch wrote:
jayL wrote:

Traps fibers, adds bulk, adds weight, restricts movement. None of those are desirable for me. I don't think it is worth it. Never had a problem with durability with this pattern, and I fish them a lot. To each his own

If you do not want additional weight I can understand. However, I disagree about the other points. If you just work the wire a little it can have very little to no effect on trapping the fibers and decreasing movement. Bulk? Don't really think it adds bulk as fine as the wire or mono is. But I agree, as you said, to each his own.

I have caught about 1000 fish on the bighorn with them and none were ribbed. Funny i think i used the same one for two days once! The mylar is very durable.

As long as you fold the flash back before finishing the head, as was mentioned, it's plenty durable.

Working with the ribbing to prevent trapped fibers makes the ribbing step a bit longer, and thus no longer worth the trouble for me for this pattern. Meh.

Ditto JayL. I found the unribbed ones actually outfished ribbed ones for that reason along. The unribbed had more action because less fibers were bunched. I switch to tying all unribbed ones. Ribbed are for her pleasure not mine.

Back