Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Quill Gordon Ties

From LV
Jack,
That pattern and a rusty spinner will catch you all the fish you'd want. You won't need any other patterns. They have to be the right size though. If you find you are having trouble catching, catch a few bugs and take them home. In most streams in PA they are a #14.
I just remembered that they do hatch on the bottom and swim to the top, but your wing and legs are too long. Wings should be as long as the hook shank as are the legs, though on a cold day they sit on the water for ever, so you could clip the legs to the hook shank.
Tie them with Wood duck flank, natural color, not dyed.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 21:41

From LV
While their requirements for good water quality are somewhat high, they can be found in large numbers in NC PA and I've found large hatches of them up until May 15 some years. Becuase they are an early hatch there hatch period does vary quite a bit. But In NC PA from about the third week aof April until May 15. I've seen them as early as the 4th week of March in SE PA. Down here they are over pretty quickly most years.
I'd bet some of Jack's favorite streams have them.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 21:51

From Monessen, PA
Thanks for all the input, guys.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 6:05

From Chester County
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
I've seen them as early as the 4th week of March in SE PA. Down here they are over pretty quickly most years.
I'd bet some of Jack's favorite streams have them.

Chaz,

Can you name any SE PA streams that have a QG hatch?

Posted on: 2010/2/17 8:02

From Monessen, PA
I bet he can, but the question is will he?

Posted on: 2010/2/17 9:39

Slate Run has 'em. Surrounding watersheds should be explored.
As far as ties, I second what Chaz said.
For dries, if having to choose between dun and spinner, I would emphasize the rusty spinner (dead hemlock needle rusty), with a dark rusty dun hackle, wings optional.
A size 14 royal wulff/coachman dry with reddish (instead of some of the really green) peacock works well, depending on the stream and pressure.
The nymph is a very flat clinger and can be found on the rocks right in the fast flow at the top of a pool.
Wets works well. My confidence lies with a darker blue dun hackle than in the photo, and olive thread.
Size 14 is good.
It's a good hatch/spinner fall for sleeping in.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 10:16

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Jack,
That pattern and a rusty spinner will catch you all the fish you'd want. You won't need any other patterns. They have to be the right size though. If you find you are having trouble catching, catch a few bugs and take them home. In most streams in PA they are a #14.
I just remembered that they do hatch on the bottom and swim to the top, but your wing and legs are too long. Wings should be as long as the hook shank as are the legs, though on a cold day they sit on the water for ever, so you could clip the legs to the hook shank.
Tie them with Wood duck flank, natural color, not dyed.

Chaz, regarding the wood duck flank in the last sentence, is this for the legs or the wing. I ask because the pattern calls for wood duck on both (barred) and while the legs on the natural ARE barred, the wing on the natural is not. This has always baffled me. I am not sure how much it matters but perhaps the presence of barring suggests a smokey color of a dun or slate colored wing like the e. pleuralis has? Or perhaps the dun hackle recommended represents the wing color and the wing color is unimportant....but the hackle usually usually represents the legs on a catskill dry fly tie. So why is it Dun when the legs are tan and barred? I think Theodore gordon screwed this fly all up. I admire him because he seems more like me than I seem like me.....

Posted on: 2010/2/17 11:10

From Pa
Are we talking about the same Quills Gordons?

Attach file:

jpg  94840.jpg (52.75 KB)
448_4b7c404d80fdd.jpg 644X489 px

Posted on: 2010/2/17 14:15

lets not all get too worried about how to tie a quill gordon , a adams will work , some suggest the grey body with a hint of yellow for the dun and yellowish-brown for the spinner , the nymph is olive brown dubbing &amber dyed mallard flanks for the legs, amber dyed wood duck for the tails on nymphs , but a adams will work unless u want to tie a specific quill gordon tie .

Posted on: 2010/2/17 18:58

From Monessen, PA
Any guy who names a mayfly after one of his ties is screwed up. The Quill Gordon natural can be imitated by many ties other than Theodore's, if I am allowed to claim.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 19:00

From Pa
I've seen some of Ray Bergmans Quill Gordons that were tied with Ginger Variant, or Cree, that were claimed to work better than the original Gordon tie. Never found a single picture of one of them though. But if you look at some of the picture plates available on the 'net, it looks like there's a tinge of ginger in some of them.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 19:18

From Lobachsville, PA
A Ginger Quill.

Attach file:

jpg  Photos 084 compressed.jpg (15.16 KB)
2101_4b7c8a910ce8b.jpg 448X335 px

Posted on: 2010/2/17 19:32

festus ,

i never saw a quill tied with ginger , my different recipes call for dun tail and hackle , i will try the ginger mixed , wood duck wings ? thanks again

Posted on: 2010/2/17 19:58

sorry for the double post , what do you use for the body ? stripped peacock ? dark brown dubbing ? dyed ddark brwn hackle stem ? thanks in advance

Posted on: 2010/2/17 20:01

From Pa
TS....I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. If you are refering to the Bergman flies, he used peacock quill. Several of the ones that I seen were tied with dun tail, ginger variant hackle and wooduck wings. I've never tied them like that, but Maurices notations about mottled tan legs fell right in line with the Bergman flies that I was priviledged to see.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 21:00

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com