Posted on: 2010/2/12 17:29

Re: Quill Gordon Ties

From Pa
Thanks kindly MKern.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 18:13

From Bozeman
Festus,

Do us the favor of sticking around buddy. Nice ties, as usual.

(psst. you broke character. )

Posted on: 2010/2/12 18:22

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
Nice flies and good advice/experiences, everybody.

I have a little different take on the entire Quill Gordon thing. I used to like to fish them (where they can be found in significant numbers, which is the crux of the problem), but even 20-30 years ago, they weren't among the mayflies you're likely to see in any profusion on most streams, even during their usual hatch period. The Epeorus flies have pretty stringent water quality requirements and in some ways, having exactly the right fly to match them is a little like having exactly the right dinner jacket to spend the evening with the Prince of Wales.

It's nice to have, but the chances of actually being able to put it to use are kinda iffy.

But certainly, there are places where they are still important. But unless you concentrate your time on smaller NC or NE freestones, I just don't think there are that many of them any more..

Posted on: 2010/2/12 18:48

From Pa
I reckon I'll try to do just that JayL. Sorry about breakin' character man. Sometimes.....well you know.

I generally don't get south of the Tioga/Potter county lines except for an occaisional trip to Spring and Penns, but I think RLeep2 is right. Years ago, I encountered great hatches of Eperous on the Big Bushkill and sometimes on the Broadheads. I don't know if they are still as prevalent on those watersheds or not. Up here, we had sparse early season hatches of Gordons and Hendricksons through the late 90s until an oil well capping program was done. By 2001, the early season hatches began coming back and today we have blizzard hatches of Gordons like I've never seen before anywhere. The only factor limiting our early season hatches now is ICE. If we have heavy ice on the Pine that scours the bottom, the Gordons seem to suffer terribly.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 19:17

rleep , thats exactly right about water quality and they are hard to find enough numbers to actually tie one on but i guess you'll have that

Posted on: 2010/2/12 19:45

From Chester County
Quote:

RLeep2 wrote:
...having exactly the right fly to match them is a little like having exactly the right dinner jacket to spend the evening with the Prince of Wales.

Great way to put it! Hey, you write as well as RLeeP1, are you guys related?

For years I've had the same QG flies sitting in my box waiting to be fished.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 7:34

From Enola, Pa.
Guys all great lookin flies, now tell me where I can find some real one's

PaulG

Posted on: 2010/2/13 8:33

From Dallastown, PA
Festus, I like the wings on your QG's but do you find that on the larger #12 or #10 that they could be problematic causing the fly to tip or the fly to spin and thus twist the tippet?

I am going to tie a few your way and see how it goes.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 9:20

From aliquippa
i always see the qg tied catskill style, never parachute style, is it a fast water fly ? there are no streams in the nw part of the state that have qg hatches so i`m clueless as to how to fish them

Posted on: 2010/2/13 10:52

From Pa
Quote:
Festus, I like the wings on your QG's but do you find that on the larger #12 or #10 that they could be problematic causing the fly to tip or the fly to spin and thus twist the tippet?

That's the beauty of this Wonder Wing Maurice, they don't twist tippets. As long as you don't overload any cement at the base of the wing, the wing stays fluid when casting. Chauncy Lively and the Beattys recommend no cement. But because they are fragile, I put just a tiny bit of cement at the base. I use hen for my personal ties because I really don't care if a few wing fibers break while I'm fishing the fly. In fact, the more ragged the wings get, the better the fly seems to work. That's especially true on the March Browns. But....if you want the strongest wing, using rooster hackle is the way to go.

If you run into any snags, shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to try 'n help you out.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 11:03

From Pa
Quote:
i always see the qg tied catskill style, never parachute style, is it a fast water fly ? there are no streams in the nw part of the state that have qg hatches so i`m clueless as to how to fish them

I tie them in parachute style, except that I use Hares Ear with a touch of olive blended into for the body. QGs begin their emergence in fast water above a pool. Trout key on a feeding lane in these pools, and set themselves up for the emergence. Many times a parachute pattern in the lower, slower reaches of a pool will be the ticket to good fishing.

Also, there are many variations of the Klinkhammer that work great for the QG hatch. One of the best has a yellow body, turkey overlay on the back, yellow rib, brown Zlon tail(not Antron as Antron clumps up when wet and doesn't appear translucent like a shuck), gray para post and dun or grizzly dun hackle.

Attach file:

jpg  Klink.jpg (22.81 KB)
448_4b76d7c95f99d.jpg 620X465 px

Posted on: 2010/2/13 11:11

From PA and NH
Nice ties,Festus. I also tie QG duns with hen back when I have the right color. They still pop up in the Poconos, but I haven't seen a thick hatch. Thanks for getting to the point without a lot of fluff or sass. If I can ever figure out the wife's camera I'll post better shots.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 23:08

From Pa
Quote:
Nice ties,Festus. I also tie QG duns with hen back when I have the right color. They still pop up in the Poconos, but I haven't seen a thick hatch. Thanks for getting to the point without a lot of fluff or sass. If I can ever figure out the wife's camera I'll post better shots.

Thanks BH. I could never get decent pictures either until I figured the dang camera out. I ended up turning off the flash, and putting the camera in macro or "flower" icon mode, then focusing on the vice jaws instead of the fly itself.

Looking forward to seeing those pictures. Good luck

Posted on: 2010/2/14 10:40

From Pa
Speaking of QGs and clean water, I just came upon this tidbit that may be of interest to some of you:

Link

Quote:
About 260 abandoned oil and gas wells were plugged in 2009 under a state program. None of them was in Potter County, where the Pa. Dept. of Environmental Protection has located 125 abandoned mines. Fifty of the mines are in Sharon Township, 42 in Hebron Township, and 11 in Eulalia Township.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 21:04

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com