Quill Gordon Nymph

redrockgrizzly

redrockgrizzly

Plan on fishing Penns nextweek. Does anyone have a pattern for a quill Gordon Nymph or would a dark hares ear work just as good.

This might be a good one for sandfly.

Thanks

Are you familiar with the quill Gordon wet fly?
Tail: wood duck
Body: stripped peacock quill
Hackle: Dun hen tied in wet fly fashion
Wing: rolled wood duck tied slanting back over the body.

Google quill Gordon wet for plenty of pictures. As you probably know, they emerge on the bottom and swim to the surface in dun form. This pattern does a good job of looking something like that. Hares ear or march brown nymphs will probably do a reasonable job of mimicking the nymph itself, but if the hatch is on you might get more action with the wet fly pattern.
Mike.

The pattern I've used from Caucci and Nastasi for the nymph stage is this,

Tails and legs- amber dyed wood duck (i use mallard 'cause thats what I have)
Body- olive-brown dubbing
Wingcase- black (i use dyed ringneck tails)
Thread- black (I'm sure any dark thread would work)
Hook- size 10,12

They also suggest using a standard hares ear wet fly for an emerger pattern instead of the traditional quill gordon wet recipe. I'd bet either pattern works.

Lastly in Hatches II they suggest that the nymphs make less effective imitations during actual hatching activity and that the emerger (wet fly) pattern is more productive. "However, between 10 A.M. and midday, the nymphs expose themselves while migrating to favorable hatching sites located on the lee side of obstructions in the fast water where they become available to trout who root for them in this area."

If you haven't checked it out, Hatches II is a great reference for tying to match specific hatches. Good luck.

^^+1 on that^^
Another good reference book is Mayflies By: Ted Fauceglia, excellent pictures with good info on them.

for the nymph I like a dirty olive/yellow/dun color
for the riser this might work. The ones i have found have a dirty olive cast to them including the adult. The spinner looks like the traditional ties..A standard hares ear wet in dirty olive works.

Attachments

• Image00009.jpg
    Image00009.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Image00010.jpg
    Image00010.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 8
outstanding, thanks guys, ill tie a few up tonight.

Back