Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Quick BWO question
From Gettysburg
Nice looking flies jg.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 22:43

From Pittsburgh
I've seen bodies on BWO's ranging in shades of yellow, to light and dark green, and even almost black.
However, I make all of mine a grayish green - or olive - color, and they work fine.
On #18 and #20 BWO's, I usually just wind the bodies with olive thread - no dubbing

Posted on: 2010/3/5 0:02

From aliquippa
JG, i`ve been to that fly shop on the depuy, probably the smallest flyshop i`ve ever been in ... that emerger thats in the top left of the pics is a killer

Posted on: 2010/3/5 1:35

From aliquippa
jay i`ve been using the spectrum dubbing from the DRC, for a few yrs now and your right it all looks the same till you get it wet, i even had to make sure i didn`t mix my flies up cause they looked the same lol.... the late bob nastasi was an graphic artist and art teacher he used only a certain colors from the color spectrum to acheive his results...if you buy the dubbing in packs it has the color combo listed for that color on the sticker

Posted on: 2010/3/5 1:42

From collegeville, pa
dryflyguy, i do the same with olive 8/0 uni-thread. I tie a lot of comparaduns but I'll take a pinch olive/brown antron dubbing to fatten up the thorax and dam up the deer hair. when that thread gets wet, it looks just like the olives that i have seen....

jeff

Posted on: 2010/3/5 8:36

From Chester County
I have more BWO imitations in my box than any other fly in my MF dry box. As far as color, I tie a light version (almost yellow with an olive cast), a med olive and a dark olive, some in parachute, catskill, and comparadun style. I tie them from size 14-24. The Cornuta is a big BWO (#14) and when you flip it over, it's actually a tan color like a March Brown. Have some for the D or Catskill streams in May. Many of the smaller olives hatching later in the season are darker in color. Also, for fussy fish, I tie a klinkhammer type with an olive quill body and an dun antron, or trimmed bright foam post for visibility.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 9:03

From Bozeman
I have also seen cornutas on Penns, assuming I have any idea what I'm talking about.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 9:25

From Chester County

Posted on: 2010/3/5 9:42

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Ahhh yes it was the catskills... I couldn't remember which one you didn't like. I need to get a nice dun neck at the show Sunday so I can tie up some better BWO's.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 11:21

From Bozeman
I don't like tying comparaduns either. I was probably complaining about them at one point, because I didn't have good deer hair. I can tie them pretty well now, but I still don't like to. I don't like tying dry flies in general, really.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 11:23

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I think my lack of quality materials puts me in that category too. I'm getting better with my dries, but they started out just downright aweful, and are only barely fishable now. I've got a $50 Cabela's gift card coming from some credit card points and that will help get me started.

Good info on the Baetis here. I look forward to hitting a few more hatches this year and Baetis seems to be an important hatch to have some flies to match.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 12:04

From Delaware Co.
Nice link Tom I didn't know about that species of Olive, that nymph looks to me to be a clinger.... I thought all Olive's were swimming nymphs ?

Posted on: 2010/3/5 12:33

From Bozeman
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
I think my lack of quality materials puts me in that category too. I'm getting better with my dries, but they started out just downright aweful, and are only barely fishable now. I've got a $50 Cabela's gift card coming from some credit card points and that will help get me started.

Good info on the Baetis here. I look forward to hitting a few more hatches this year and Baetis seems to be an important hatch to have some flies to match.

You hit one last year and didn't know it.

I didn't realize the fish were taking olives during the sulphur hatch at spring creek until I got a clear view of the sky and was able to see all of the BWOs heading to the trees. Once I saw the olives, it became clear that the fish were taking them, since I saw very few sulphur naturals get eaten. I had assumed emergers all evening, but had limited success. This was Saturday at the jam.

I told a few people that didn't listen, then went home.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 12:36

From collegeville, pa
you need (not really but preferred) summer hair? (the finer one) for comparaduns...it does makes it easier to tie. got some at cabelas and they call it comparadun hair i think...ive noticed to cut more hair than i think i need...cause you wind up losing a few strands...plus it makes it easier to bulk up the thorax.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 12:41

From Bozeman
I got a patch of natural and a patch of dun comparadun hair a while ago, and it makes comparaduns and EHC look way better.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 13:20

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com