Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Question about the Peak Rotary Vise

I'm still fighting and working over in my head wether I want to upgrade to a peak rotary vise or a renzetti traveler. I know this is beating a dead horse so I'm not going to ask which one is better. I am leaning heavily toward the peak but the one thing that concerns me the most with the peak is I have read it doesn't have true inline rotation when using smaller hooks on it.

My question for you peak users is this. Does this pose a problem for you when using the rotary function of the vise? I tie mostly size 10 to size 18 hooks. I have never used a rotary so I can't really be the judge for myself on wether this is a major fault of the vise or really not a big deal. I plan on using rotary techniques with this vise so I want to make sure I buy one that will work well that purpose.

Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2012/11/6 20:32

Re: Question about the Peak Rotary Vise

From Delaware River
I don't have a peak, but I can tell you there is one over in the trade/swap/whateveritscalled forum. In regards to your question, I think you should be fine (although like I said I don't have one).

Posted on: 2012/11/6 20:50

From Pittsburgh
I have a Peak rotary and while I don't use true "rotary techniques" it is nice for wrapping ribs, palmering hackle, etc. It makes it a lot easier to see the far and under side of your hook. You can't spin material on a hook like with a Nor Vise but I've never had an issue with the Peak. Honestly, I've switched over to a Regal more lately because I like the jaws better. It's not a true in-line rotary but I can still rotate the head to see the far side of my hook if I need to.

I agree with GF, you shouldn't have any problems with smaller hooks using the rotary function even if it's not perfectly "in the round". I never find much need to spin the jaws with size 14, 16, 18s, anyway.

Posted on: 2012/11/7 13:14

From York, PA
I would agree with Turkey. No, it's not in-line but it doesn't rotate to far out of it when you use the feature. I use the rotary a lot for midges and also for spinning hackle. No troubles that I can see when using the Peak!

Posted on: 2012/11/7 19:25

From SE PA - Montgomery County
I have the Peak Rotary vice and I am completely satisfied with it. I have not found the problem that you state, but that may be because I generally wrap materials manually and not with the rotary feature, so I may have not noticed. Sorry if this was not much help. I like the vise FWIW.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 8:57

From Crafton, Pa
I have the peak and use the rotary mostly for ribbing bodies. I tie up to size 24 hooks and never had a problem. I did buy the midge jaws and find its a little easier to work with the smaller flies.

Posted on: 2012/11/10 14:58

Also own a peak and love the quality for the price. Thoroughly pleased with its build and performance. Coming up on a year old for me.

Posted on: 2012/11/10 17:36

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
I have the peak and the metal base. I wish the vise had turn nobs for the base instead of the screws which need a small allen wrench. I am always misplacing things and can never find the wrench when I need it. Other than that I enjoy the rotary features and for $150 I think I am getting good use out of it.

Posted on: 2012/11/12 20:38

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com