Question about Tiemco Hooks

Ryno17

Ryno17

Hey All.
I try to use the same hooks for my flies to keep things consistent. Two of my usuals are a TMC 3761 and 3769. I understand what it means when it's said that a 3761 is a 1x shank. That being as it is, the length of a 3761 is also the same length of a 3769 standard shank one size up. Example a 3761 #18 is equal in length to a 3769 #16, the exception being a more narrow hook gap on the 3761. Should a 1x shank be reserved for bead heads to get a true size ? If anyone could give me any advice or opinion on what hook I should use to get the true size fly tied from these hooks I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

What pattern are you trying to tie? I will use the same hook for a pattern with or without a bead. For example I like to tie my pheasant tails with a 2xl hook. I will use a 2xl hook for the pattern with and without a bead.

Nomad,
I generally try to tie all my nymph patterns on these hooks. Pheasant tails, Hares Ears, Sulphur nymphs, BWO's etc... For the most part, I use a 1x long (3761) for the bead heads but a standard shank (3769) for a headless pattern. I try to stick to these particular hooks for consistency since I'm a novice tier at best and I find it easier to keep my proportions the same. Just curious as to what anyone else's thoughts are. Thanks for the input.

Depends on what you want as a result. For caddis patterns this isn't much of an issue since most tyers consider the bead as part of the thorax and tie a shortened thorax behind the bead.

For mayfly and stonefly type nymphs it's a bit more complex. Some tyers have the bead as part of the thorax with a shortened thorax and wing case behind the bead. Others tie the pattern as a complete nymph beginning immediately behind the bead. The latter would require a longer shank hook to achieve the desired result.

If you don't want to read all this, stick to 1xl shank nymph hooks and you'll be fine. Otherwise....

It's really up to you on what hooks you want use. Don't get too wrapped up in numerical size. Decide which hook style you like and then stock up on different sizes and then choose a hook depending on the actual physical size of fly you wish to tie. Personally, I use 1x and 2x long hooks for nymphs depending on pattern. I have always been under the impression that 1x long hooks were considered standard for nymphs, with or without beads, while soft hackle and traditional wets are typically tied on a regular shank or 1x long depending on pattern and tastes. however, here are really no rules. I will however, mention that I prefer using 1x long or standard shank hooks for my smaller nymphs. I seem to get better hookups with a shorter shank to gap ratio, particularly when using small flies.

Another thing to consider is how the hooks ACTUALLY compare to each other. a 2x long hook may or may not be equal to a comparable style of standard shank hook. A 2x long in one brand/style may or may not be slightly larger then a 1x or of another. Sometimes the hook proportions seem to change as you go up and down in sizes. I like certain 2x long hooks in some styles but think the shanks get proportionally too long in the smaller sizes.

Lastly, the size of hook you choose can depend on what size of bead you put on it. Usually, two or even three sizes of beads will fit on a hook. Usually, only one size looks good in terms of proportion, however there are times when, depending on hook size and bead size, two bead sizes will work well. However, the smaller bead will make the fly look proportionally longer while the larger bead will make it seem shorter.

Kev

Thanks,
All very helpful advice. Kev, just for the record I did take the time to read the entire post. Haha. Thanks again.

Back