Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Plug - LL Fly Shop
From Chester County
One thing I have to add to my "Becks" knowledge. They were one of the first shops that I knew of, at least in the East, to start a guiding operation and to lease and/or buy land along the stream (Fishing Creek in Columbia County) and posted it agianst trespassing. They guided customers on these private stretches. As a matter of fact, I believe they have leased or sold some of these lands to the SRC for their dastardly use.

As far as the Barry and Cathy vs. Rod with respect to which has the greatest fly-fishing knowledge, who knows or cares. But I bet my Dad can beat up your Dad! He's in his seventies now, but he's still pretty tough.

The one thing that I don't understand is why any professional in the sport of FF, selling their wares, would support the SRC. While there are wealthy individuals in the sport that would join the SRC or like clubs, the vast majority of FF are middle classed guys (and gals). From a pure marketing standpoint, if I were the Becks, or Lefty or any other pro fisherman, I would run the other way the SRC approaches. And from a the moral standpoint, no contest, thumbs down on the SRC.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 6:25

I did not mean to misdirect this thread, but if you’ll look through the posts, you’ll see that I am not the poster who dragged the Becks into the discussion about the quality of someone else’s fly shop.

I am well aware of the Becks’ history of posting land. It was never a popular action in my home area and I never agreed with it. However, this is America and just as we are allowed to disagree with the actions of the SRC, they are allowed to post waters that aren’t navigable.

Take a look at the LL shop website. At the bottom of the home page is a link to the Mid Atlantic article about the Little Lehigh. Now, take a look at who wrote the article. That’s funny! You’ll also notice that the article is full of respectful comments about the shop. Enough said?

Please don’t be offended by any of my opinions here. You’ll notice that I seldom argue in this forum. I guess something hit a nerve. I think I need to go fishing. I haven’t had time to get out in over three weeks. I’m having withdrawal symptoms.

Hey, afish. I don’t know your dad, but my 78 year old dad still works out at the local gym every morning. Could be a good match!

Posted on: 2008/7/25 7:47

From bucks cty
H-A; thanks for pointing out the situation with Rod. I hadn't considered that possibility. I've thought about attending one of the stream access meetings. He still has the June date posted. Any idea if there is another meeting planned? Forget about the "who knows more than who" argument. Anyone who provides some leadership in addressing stream access should get a lot of credit.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 8:14

From Chester County
Nice article Shultzy. I've never noticed it before.

http://www.littlelehighflyshop.com/articles/FFGFeature.pdf

Posted on: 2008/7/25 8:30

I guess those dastardly SRC profit grubbing supporters can come in handy when you need a reference to improve your own profits.

Our world is full of double standards. You've got to love the internet - it provides access to all kinds of necessary information for arguments. Maybe that's why no one should bash anyone in a public forum (or private , for that matter).

My participation in this discussion is now over. Its time to move on.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 14:23

From Lehigh Valley
schultzy - That article written by Cathy has appeared on the LLFS website for many years (pre-SRC). I know I always really liked the Becks, and always got along well with them. I'm always greeted at the Somerset show by Cathy, and she knows me by name. Two of my most revered individuals in the entire industry have been sucked into the SRC quagmire, and quite frankly, this pains me to no end.

Perhaps Barry and Cathy will realize the magnitude of their actions in this sad state of affairs and renounce their membership in the SRC. I don't think the public will ever forget, but it would go a long way toward healing an open wound. They're talented enough to make a comfortable living without joining the "Dark Side". Let's hope this happens for everyone's sake.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 15:23

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

tabasco_joe wrote:
I've thought about attending one of the stream access meetings. He still has the June date posted. Any idea if there is another meeting planned?

Joe - I don't have the answer to that question, but tomorrow I'm going to stop by the shop and visit my friend Rod. I just feel the need to shake his hand and thank him for his efforts. It's been too long since I've visited him! I'll post what I find out about the next stream access meeting. It looks like we've got one SERIOUS grumpy old guy leading this fight! He's a very smart man with a lot of the "right connections". I'm sure they'd appreciate more help. I don't relish the thought of losing this fight and having to explain why I didn't get involved and help where I could to future generations of fly fishermen.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:15

From Monessen, PA
For some people, principles trump profit and for others, profit trumps principles. And, perhaps for some others still, it depends on what day it is. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stonefly."

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:19

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

JackM wrote:
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stonefly."

That'd look like 7:45 AM on opening day!

For anyone interested, the next stream access meeting is scheduled for August 19 at 6 PM. And anyone that thinks there aren't a lot of trout in the Little Lehigh needs to go fish the Trico hatch right now. The fishing was terrific, and I didn't see another fly fisherman all morning! (I fished in the parkway). Its always a good sign when you catch a fish while stripping line off the reel to make your first cast.

Posted on: 2008/7/26 12:41

I only caught this topic early and the first thing I thought was is this man feeling OK? Is he sick or in pain? I work with a diabetic and he's all sunshine one day and a grouch the next. He was a grouch on Tuesday and is now on medical leave for a infection in his toes. I really hope he doesn't lose them. Everytime I jump to conclusions I end up with a bruise in regret.

Posted on: 2008/7/26 22:01

From chester ct
Just another thought about the LLFS (which I believe was the original thread's topic): before Rod got the shop going, that lower parking lot was a sleasy and troublesome spot. A number of unsavory folks hung out there, unfortunately about the time the sulfurs hatched. These folks drew worse people of the criminal persuasion and I could relate to anglers who pack.

Once Rod and his posse moved in, the whole area has improved by orders of magnitude. Some of this may be demographics (all those New Yorkers and yuppies moving into the Lehigh Valley), and no doubt the Park staff has done a masterful job in spiffing up the entire Parkway system. Any time you can feel you and your vehicle (and contents) are safe, with kids, seniors and young lasses walking and jogging without armed guards is a good one. And I do know Rod and group did some tactical interventions in the early days that I believe changed the character and ambiance of the area for the better.

tl
les

Posted on: 2008/7/27 10:35

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com