Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Pine Special

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Russ came out with the pine creek special in GD, MB, and one other I can't remember as a dry. I came up with the pine creek special (WET) to imitate the march brown and grey fox. then I was shown the pine creek special bucktails that beadhead posted from a guy in Galeton. They seem to work on the stockies in pine.

Posted on: 1/26 18:22

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Montgomery, PA
Festus has it right. I have an original fly given to my father by Russ himself of his pine creek special. Its made with the wings spent forward. It's made to mimic a green drake parachute variation.

I only have a dozen of them that usually last me all year. its a pain in the butt to tie to get it correct.

I will tie that on as my strike indicator and trail it with an emerger of whatever it hatching and its absolutely devastating on Pine.

if I can find a picture of one of them I will, otherwise i'll snap a pic tonight after work.

Also, Fly fishers paradise in State College will be able to tie them up for you as well if you cannot. They are a bit salty in price but that's nothing compared to the time invested in each tie

Slinger

Posted on: 1/27 8:00

From Lehigh Valley
Here ya go:

Pine Creek Special

FWIW - Fred Bridge is/was Russ Mowry's Brother-in law.

http://flytyingworld.com/PagesF/fredbridge.htm

Posted on: 1/27 8:10

From NC PA Mountains
Don't be intimidated to tie them. They are not hard at all to tie.

Posted on: 1/27 8:37

From Montgomery, PA
Heritage- that's the fly but the materials are wrong. The originals call ffor a different recipe but if you want something similar that's as close as it gets

Posted on: 1/27 9:35

From Westmoreland/Tioga
The only thing I have to add is that I believe the Pine Creek Special is an imitations of the Brown Drake not the Green Drake. In his book Pennsylvania Trout Streams and Their Hatches, Meck describes a group of anglers mislabeling Brown Drakes as Green Drakes on Pine Creek.

Posted on: 1/27 10:38

From State College
Russ was my dad's fly fishing mentor. He said I would have gotten along with him real well, wish I could've met him.

Posted on: 1/27 10:42

From SW PA
I knew Russ quite well also. He and the late Don Robb where the original founding fathers of Forbes Trail TU. Russ was practically a legend in Slate Run. Tom Finkbiner of Slate Run told me about meeting Russ on stream for the first time. Russ was a great fishermen and the stories he could tell were always very entertaining. I recall the pattern being called a "Slate Run Special" as Russ would fish it all the time, even if that wasn't necessarily "the" hatch. But then my memory is exactly digital.

Posted on: 1/27 17:51

From LV
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Here ya go:

Pine Creek Special

FWIW - Fred Bridge is/was Russ Mowry's Brother-in law.

http://flytyingworld.com/PagesF/fredbridge.htm

That's the one I've seen, Slate Run Tackle sells them.

Posted on: 1/27 21:10

From LV
Quote:

shortrod2 wrote:
The only thing I have to add is that I believe the Pine Creek Special is an imitations of the Brown Drake not the Green Drake. In his book Pennsylvania Trout Streams and Their Hatches, Meck describes a group of anglers mislabeling Brown Drakes as Green Drakes on Pine Creek.

I don't if you could mistake the 2, unless you're a total beginner and have never seen either one.

Posted on: 1/27 21:12

From Pittsburgh, PA
Just got back from a week-long camping/fishing trip on Pine Creek at Cedar Run. I stopped by Slate Run and purchased two Pine Creek Specials, and I have to say that the pics Festus posted are almost identical to the flies I got there. (by the way, you have to ask for them. They keep them behind the counter.)

Posted on: 4/27 10:37

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com