Pike Flies

StudentofTheStream

StudentofTheStream

I'll be heading up to Quebec the second week in June for a week long foray of walleye, pike and lake trout fishing.

My goal is a 30" pike or better on the fly and a lake trout (too deep for fly fishing) so I was wondering if anyone has any great pike patterns.

By great I mean simple to tie and relatively hardy. I don't want to spend vast amounts of time tying flies that if I'm lucky will garner a couple fish before they're totally shredded. I have some I picked up off the web, a couple I improvised on and the standard clousers and deceivers. Any other suggestions?

I tie mine with Roman Moser streamer materials, like ghost fiber.
I also use Zonker strips, but the Moser stuff is so easy to use.

one of the simplest i've tied and works is bugger hackle for the tail, ice chenille or chanille for the body and bugger hackle palmered up the body. use different color combos but the most consistent i had was a simply all white with red palmered hackle. yea you only get maybe 2 - 3 fish each but you can tie up dozens real fast. i used 2/0 and 3/0 stinger hooks from a spinnerbait. use 40lb hard nylon line for a weed guard.

i also used decievers and zonkers. yellow is the next best color i used but also caught fishing on chartruese, oragnge, blue against either white or black contrasting color.

also for when the fish are active some sort of popper or floating/diver, for toop water fishing is a blast.

Here's a simple fly that comes pretty closer to imitating that all-time great pike lure, the Daredevil spoon.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/images/lefty%27s-red-and-white.jpg

This is Lefty Kreh's Red & White Hackle Fly.

I didn't link the pattern, but its pretty simple.

It's all red and white saddle hackles palmered over a thread body with a tail of white saddles with a few fibers of pearl flash in the tail..

With or without dumbbell eyes.

We hammered the pike on these at Cabonga Res. in La Verendyre (sp) PP in Quebec. Sizes from 1 up to 3/0 (standard shank) seemed to work best.

Clousers and deceivers in those same colors will do the trick as well...

Main colors for pike are:

Red and White,
Black,
Chartruse,
Purple.

I tie a tarpon style keys fly, just grizzy hackles for tail with gold and silver, then wrap grizzly hackle up shank half way. done works on pike, musky, and pickeral..
Also bunny flies up to 10" long in chart., yellow,white/red

Well since I've had some time to whip up a few I figured why not post a couple.

Let me know what you think.

Quick and easy ties for the toothy critters to shred.

SotS,

Good ties, they should do the trick.

JH

Tom,

Do you mean where as in location or type of water?

Well I'll answer both I suppose just to make sure. We're fishing Lake Kipawa in Quebec but for pike we'll be fishing the smaller ponds and lakes around our lodge.

As for water I plan to throw them at grassy/brushy areas on shore and retrieve. But also probably some deeper water with an intermediate or full sink line.

I have heavier clousers and such too.

Hope that answered your question.

I saw were you were from Westmoreland. I must have missed the part where you said you were going to Canada. Duh, (going back and re-reading your very first line). If you want some practice. High Point lake and Quennamahoning Reservoirs have decent Pike fishing in late May. So I'm told, anyway. My single half-hearted effort wasn't very productive.

Also try where the Loyalhanna and Conamugh(spelling?) Rivers meet. I know that in the spring time that's where all the serious musky/pike fisherman go! A little info I learned working at that damn box store.

JH

pike flys:

nice ties sandfly. the ones i posted are between 4-7" in length thus only have one hook. I did whip up some clouser style flies last night that were 10-13" so I added a size 2 stinger hook about 6 inches back.

Anyone else use stingers in such big flies and if so, what do you use to connect them to the first hook?

I used some 35lb toothy critter from cortland to do so but that stuff is a bear to tie into any sort of knot, though it's 'supposed' to be knotable with the standards. I plan on coating the knots and whipped joints with softex then epoxy.

Any tips/tricks or other ideas as the best method for this?

Definitely going to be using the 10wt to throw those bad boys!

I use coated braided wire with crimps same as my saltwater rigs..remember that a pike is going to grab a bait/fly mid section then turn to swallow head first..I like to put my stingers point up and just behind first hook..

I've always wondered about the 2nd hook on these types of flies... how exactly do you rig one up when you tie it??

Stinger hooks aren't necessary with Pike or salt. They pretty much chomp it all with that big mouth.

Back