Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Picket Pin

As I mentioned before this type of do every thing fly used to be very popular in the west when there was less pressure and a lot more stocking being done but I saw them losing favor over the years.
Like bamboo rods and silk lines they are an historical interest but better ways have emerged.

Posted on: 2011/12/24 12:34

From Souderton PA
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
As I mentioned before this type of do every thing fly used to be very popular in the west when there was less pressure and a lot more stocking being done but I saw them losing favor over the years.
Like bamboo rods and silk lines they are an historical interest but better ways have emerged.

The fly still catches plenty of fish. Newer is not aways better, and in fly fishing it seldom is really better. But as someone hoping that a silk line for a bamboo rod is among my Christmas gifts, I'm probably biased :)

Posted on: 2011/12/24 13:36

From Monessen, PA
I often bow to nostalgia in FFing. And, I love the Mickey Finn.

Posted on: 2011/12/24 14:52

-- Leo Tolstoy

grease that picket pin up and float the fast water no matter what insect is emerging as long as it is emerging which is rather easy ! thats why I use DRY FLY hackle , why not cover all tan or dark colored bugs on top and underneath in the same fly ! MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS !

Posted on: 2011/12/24 23:58

From Chester County
I usually take a look at all the old patterns of flies. There are 1000's of patterns that come out every year. Often, the ones that have stood the test of time end up being the most effective.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 9:40

From Souderton PA
Once the Christmas festivities died down I managed a little vise time and tied a picket pin according to the original recipe that Sandfly posted. I had forgotten how much fun it is to tie in squirrel hair. I hope everyone had an wonderful Christmas!
Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/12/25 23:56

Quote:
pete41 wrote: As I mentioned before this type of do every thing fly used to be very popular in the west when there was less pressure and a lot more stocking being done but I saw them losing favor over the years. Like bamboo rods and silk lines they are an historical interest but better ways have emerged. The fly still catches plenty of fish. Newer is not aways better, and in fly fishing it seldom is really better. But as someone hoping that a silk line for a bamboo rod is among my Christmas gifts, I'm probably biased :)

I just put that out as a teaser knowing I was bound to get a rise-lol
Just kidding about bamboo and silk.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 9:00

While I appreciate the history

Never been a fan

Posted on: 2011/12/30 0:04

From Peasant Gap
oh yeah, the Picket Pin! That was a staple when I was a kid. Caught a lot of stockies and a few educated fish too. I still tie a few big ones for night flies and high water.

Posted on: 2012/1/3 22:44

From Mount Joy, PA
Here's an image of the fly I have. Obviously on the larger size (6/8) compared to some of the stuff that has been posted.

I'll have to give this a whirl this year to see what I can drum up!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/1/4 11:12

From Johnstown, PA
Try them up in Erie on the steelhead streams once the little black stones start emerging ("snow bank nymph" I think they are called in some areas) in 16 and/or 18 if you can stand to go that small in tying them (squirrel tail very slippery on small sizes so you may want to substitute). Actually have worked well for me anywhere little black stones are found.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 13:44

As another said, deadly where isonychias are active. Try substituting something with movement for the squirrel tail like a dark dun CDC oiler puff, marabou or rhea feathers. Fish upstream on a dead drift and then swing it at the end of your drift. If thy iso's are active you will catch fish, it is a can't miss.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 22:31

From Rochester, PA
I don't know how the Picket Pin works in a caddis hatch but the soft hackle version I use is very effective. I tie it with a peacock herl body and head, an underwing of cdc and an over wing of wood duck flank. I also put either a green or red tag on the fly. You can also tie it with a tail of wood duck flank. I believe the effectiveness of this fly is peacock herl.

Posted on: 2012/1/7 14:16

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com