Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Picket Pin

From Mount Joy, PA
I saw some recipes calling for elk hair instead of the squirrel hair if using it for a topwater version. For those who fish it dry, do you tie it exclusively with squirrel hair regardless of how you're fishing it?

Nice to see a good discussion on a time-tested fly.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 21:16

From SW PA
I personally haven't had much luck with, but really never fished it with purpose. Seem to put it on as an after thought. The "old timers" I know swear by them, that's why I always carry a couple. Just might have to give it a serious try next time out.

JH

Posted on: 2011/12/22 23:14

Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
I saw some recipes calling for elk hair instead of the squirrel hair if using it for a topwater version. For those who fish it dry, do you tie it exclusively with squirrel hair regardless of how you're fishing it?

That would be an elk hair caddis with a peacock body. Not that there's anythig wrong with that. It would surely catch trout. And it would make a decent imitation of the grannoms.

But to call such a fly a "picket pin" would be quite a stretch. Just as a dry fly "wooly bugger" would be quite a stretch.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 9:19

From The great north east
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:

That would be an elk hair caddis with a peacock body. Not that there's anythig wrong with that. It would surely catch trout. And it would make a decent imitation of the grannoms.

But to call such a fly a "picket pin" would be quite a stretch. Just as a dry fly "wooly bugger" would be quite a stretch.

Do you mean some thing like this???

Resized Image

If you like that, Then how about this

Resized Image

Now that your laughing take a look at this.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/12/23 9:37

From Souderton PA
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:

It is a simple enough pattern to play with. For example, mallard or woodduck make a nice wing in place of the squirrel and give a different quality of movement in the water. Anyone that wants to be a purist will have to find a source of ground squirrel (and let me know if you find one). But elk would seem to make the pattern less versatile, and as was pointed out would be pretty close to an EHC.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 9:39

From Ransom, Pennsylvania
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:

No,I still use squirrel, just with stiffer hackle,a hackle collar, and a bit of floatant to use these as a dry fly.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 9:39

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
"Picket Pins, with bodies of red, yellow, silver and gold, are the names given to hair flies made by Jack Boehme, of Missoula, Montana.

Jack has been tying flies for western waters since 1915.

Picket Pins are Jack's own patterns. They are dressed from the tails of ground squirrels. The cowboys gave the ground squirrel the name of picket pin as the animal, when sitting upright on the prairie, looks like a picket pin used to picket out their horses. They are a favorite hair fly in the Northwest.

Jack Boehme also has tied flies for use in the Madison River, known throughout the angling world as a producer of record rainbows. One of those is his namesake, 'Boehme's Fancy."

The 'Big Trout'and 'Cutthroat' are also his creations for use in the Rogue and Klamath Rivers."

Publisher's Note: Ground squirrels are actually Richardson Ground Squirrels which in most of the west are commonly called gophers, similar to prairie dogs.

Tag: Fine gold tinsel (optional) Black.

Tail: Two tips of brown hackle or brown hackle fibers.

Body: Peacock herl.

Rib: Fine oval gold tinsel, or gold wire in smallers sizes counter-wrapped to reinforce the palmered body hackle.

Wing: Gray squirrel tail.

Head: Peacock herl over black thread.

Notes: While recognized primarily as a wet fly, the Picket Pin is also very effective when tied in larger sizes and fished as a streamer.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 10:08

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Souderton PA
Sandfly, do you know if that is Jack's original pattern (other than the squirrel substitution)? I'm asking because I thought the tag and rib were more recent additions, but I can't find any reference that lists the original.
Mike.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 11:29

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
its original, most of the "OLD" flies had a tag and rib from real tinsel. I still have some real tinsel from the fifties. I learned to tie this pattern in the sixties to fish as a stone fly pattern for the henryville section of the broad heads.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 11:34

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

The picket pin is killer during slate drakes. You can fish it like a streamer or like a nymph. It's a good one.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 13:48

killer for caddis hatches too , the strikes are brutal i love em !!! i use peacock ice dub ribbed gold wire , and grey squirel tail for the wing , that simple !!

Posted on: 2011/12/23 19:24

From So MD/Misplaced Pittsburgher
So what is the hackle material on the pic in the original post.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 20:45

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

tracker12 wrote:
So what is the hackle material on the pic in the original post.

Looks like coachman brown. I like to use brown saddle hackle on these, as you use a good bit of hackle on each fly.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 22:57

It originated in the west. Is it still popular out there? Has anyone seen them for sale in fly shops out west?

Posted on: 2011/12/24 9:05

From Monessen, PA
I got one in a fly swap years back. I have fished it, but it lives. When I made the PAFF flyswap pages, I identified it as a caddis imitation, incorrectly, apparently. If you grease it, it skitters well, while still being versatile enough that you can pull it under and get a strike from trouts looking for emergers.

Picket Pin from old flyswap

Posted on: 2011/12/24 10:28

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com