Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Peeking caddis tutorial and video

From Delaware River
Pretty dang sure that Mr. Utah invented it himself. Trust me, the google button is worn down on my screen lol!

Posted on: 2011/10/1 22:44

From SEPA
Quote:

gaeronf wrote:
Yea, it's an inside joke, kind of. The golden oldie is under more lock and key then area 51. It's super secretive...

so secretive it was the first response on google, although admittedly, it has his name attached to it.

i believe the name i was given for this was "two tone hare's ear." except that looks like chenille, and there's moose mane for tails,

oh, four options down it came again with pattern attached.

there ain't nothing new in fly tying except the name someone sticks on it.

Posted on: 2011/10/2 7:27

From Delaware River
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

gaeronf wrote:
Yea, it's an inside joke, kind of. The golden oldie is under more lock and key then area 51. It's super secretive...

so secretive it was the first response on google, although admittedly, it has his name attached to it.

i believe the name i was given for this was "two tone hare's ear." except that looks like chenille, and there's moose mane for tails,

oh, four options down it came again with pattern attached.

there ain't nothing new in fly tying except the name someone sticks on it.

I'm just going to stop the argument here. You think what you want, I'll think what I want.

Posted on: 2011/10/2 9:07

From SEPA

Quote:

gaeronf wrote:
Well, gfen, where on any of those sights is a recipe. Yes you have a picture, but do you have the ingredients, not just hypothetical ones?

there appears to be quite a bit of text associated with the second link. the key is to read it. included amongst this text is all of the essential things one might need to know. beyond that its a matter of logically assembling the things listed in front of you and feeling good about yourself for following common sense.

it ain't rocket science. jock scotts require some assembly instructions, six material flies do not.

Posted on: 2011/10/2 9:15

From SE Pa.
Maybe JU can pm me with the material list for the G.O.,so I don't loose my reputation lol

Posted on: 2011/10/2 10:21

From Lehigh Valley
Beadhead - In the interest of saving your reputation, I'll take a shot at this.

Hook: Daiichi 1720 sz 8
Bead: tungsten 3/16
Thread: Brown 6/0
Rib: Brown medium Ultrawire
Tail: moose body hair
Overbody: mottled turkey tail
Shellback: grey/brown Thinskin, or possibly clear baggie plastic.
Legs: brown mottled partridge
Dubbing: Haretron Golden Stone

While the materials may not be anything new, there's some fundamentally sound tying techniques used on that fly. Notice the shellback over the turkey tail - this adds durability and shine. At first, I thought he might have used a UV product to coat the turkey, but you can see a piece of the shellback at the rear of the abdomen. Nice.

The partridge legs appear to be palmered on the thorax, and dubbed over top. Good technique, and it prevents the partridge feather from being damaged by fish teeth. Plus, it looks better, IMO.

Any way you look at it, it's obvious that it ain't Johnny U's first dance.

Excellent fly!

Posted on: 2011/10/2 12:10

From Eastern PA
Quote:

gaeronf wrote:

I'm just going to stop the argument here. You think what you want, I'll think what I want.

Let us know how that works for ya.

Posted on: 2011/10/2 12:20

From SEPA
3xl hook.
pale yellow chenille or yarn.
moose mane.
turkey.
softex or flexament or some sort of material i can't be bothered to deal with but softer than epoxy.
partridge. tip and stem clipped off, laid over top then the turkey is pulled over ala copper john.
i'd have thought brown thread for the ribbing. wire makes more sense. it comes in brown? what will they think of next!

Posted on: 2011/10/2 12:23

From Lehigh Valley
Chenille? Ewwwww!

The partridge feather may not be palmered, but it looks like he dubbed over top to divide the legs, and make it more durable. Maybe not, though.

Look at the piece of plastic sticking out the rear of the fly - definitely shell back of some sort.

Why do they sometimes call pork shoulder Boston Butt, when it's from the front part of a pig?

Posted on: 2011/10/2 13:00

From Delaware River
I don't know why you guys are getting mad and all sarcastic towards me. I just said that it was secretive. And that there was no blatant recipe.

Posted on: 2011/10/2 13:13

From Lehigh Valley
Gaeron - Don't let it bother you. Jdaddy was probably referring to gfen's relentless nature, and gfen is, well - gfen. He's harmless, unless you have candy.

Don't bring candy to the tying jam, for the same reason you don't feed wild bears.

Posted on: 2011/10/2 13:28

From SE Pa.
Thanks Heritage,you have saved my reputation (copy,copy,copy )lol

Posted on: 2011/10/2 14:32

From SEPA
Quote:

gaeronf wrote:
I don't know why you guys are getting mad and all sarcastic towards me. I just said that it was secretive. And that there was no blatant recipe.

mad requires work. google does not. its all there for you.

ha: the window maker was not on board with the butcher, the baker, nor the candlestick maker. you're right. it is a shellback et al.

Posted on: 2011/10/2 18:30

From The great north east
Gfen- Your power to use google is remarkable. Your powers of compression, not so much. Everything you came up with is connected to me. The picture is mine as well as the post in hatches magazine. I agree that nothing is new in fly tying. There is only techniques which all patterns copy. A copper johns not much different then any other nymph other than the materials, which are nothing new either.

Heritage- Nice guessing but your wrong on several components. Unfortunately the pic that you all have found does not do the fly justice.

To all- The golden oldie is my fly. I have done extensive research to make that statement. While the tying techniques are not all unique. I assure you the materials are unique to the pattern. I have been fine tuning the pattern for 2 years to come to the current mastered recipe. Which if you have been following me, you know is deadly. Each material in the fly is as equally important to the next. There is two major key ingredients that I know for fact no fly tyers have used for any documented pattern. Thus why the Golden Oldie is my pattern.

Im flattered that you all have so much interest in the fly. Im sorry that the pattern is lock and key.

Posted on: 2011/10/2 20:15

From SEPA
Resized Image

anyways. its a lovely video.

Posted on: 2011/10/2 20:22

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com