Parachute posts

Fredrick

Fredrick

What do you guys use for your post material ? I use antron right now but been thinking about using turkey flats . Any thoughts ?
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=0L00&dir_id=1273&group_id=1293&cat_id=12543&subcat_id=6477

I prefer para post (poly propelene yarn treated with watershed floatant).

I also like poly propelene.

I have use yellow mallard, and turkey flats, and even antron in the past, but my over all favorite is apra post. ($2 for about 200-300 flies)

I most often I use poly yarn for parachute posts. It's cheap, floats and takes floatant well, it comes in many colors (including hi-vis colors), it is easy to color or make markings on it with marker, it's light (won't spin flies), you can add or subtract material depending on how dense/thick you want the wing, you can leave it oversize,no need to fuss with measurements, and the longer length is easier to work with when hackling because you can trim it to length when the fly is complete.

I have been using CDC and its amazing how much longer that float.

I've always used that Para Post stuff for the most part. That parapost stuff that Fly Tyers Dungeon sells works great and you get a ton of it.

Per Toms suggestion and SkyBlues Sulphur post, I'm gonna tie up some with CDC though and see how it works out.

I use antron and turkey flats.
The antron is easier to work with, but I like the look of turkey flat better

lately, i've been using foam more than anything else

Attachments

• paradun3.jpg
    paradun3.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 3
  • paradun5.jpg
    paradun5.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 3
  • paradun6.jpg
    paradun6.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 3
I use white Calf tail 90% of the time.

Joe E

I use just about anything I have around. Poly yarn, para post, I have a high viz material(not sure what it is) I use for my adams for brookies, and foam. Depends on my mood for the day.

I'm i the only one that gives bucktail a hoot or i use poly.

calf tail or malard flank.

I had z-lon on hand so that's what I used. Hope it sheds water well.

Anyone else try it?

I really like antron for smaller dries...very easy to tie in without thickening the body. For bigger stuff like PMX's and hoppers I go with poly yarn or a bright colored foam. Iv used calf body hair in the past, and I really like the way it looks, but its a pain to use compared to the synthetic alternatives.

Parachue post don't have to thinken the body if you tie it like a spent spinner wing than bring them up and wrapp like a post. I use half of the material this way.

I used to tie in the post material like catskills style wing and "thread dam" it up. This alwasy leave a big lump.

Right thats why I like to use the synthetic stuff. You cant really tie in calf body hair like that.

if it clumps up the body u are using way too much poly , the post is tied in behind the hook eye and mayflys have a gradual taper up to head anyway , i never had a problem with it. the post is for visibility not for floatability , the hackle makes the fly float , the chute is not in the water.

+1 for foam

I use foam on my parachute caddis. I can't find anything as bright white and they are hard enough to see.

I do use foam on my cristo midges, but I don't tie or use them often.

I use the turkey flats that come off of a dollar store feather duster that are yellow for some small parachutes. Otherwise, I use deer hair, calf body hair, elk hair. Synthetics are very easy and fast to tie, but get too grimy for my liking.

Back