Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Overseas fly tying not as bad as I thought

From Portage, PA
I don't take anything snide or condescending remarks on this site seriously anymore. Not worth it to be honest. Learned my lesson about that about 2 years ago. Thought most of that was done with, but no big deal either way.

I don't think I would ever buy another fly from anyone to be honest, I may trade some, or ask my uncle to whip me up some dry flies from time to time. Just a personal preference. I am going to do a bit more digging on this and see what I can find. I imagine that many big name companies have many overseas connections as well.

Posted on: 2/20 14:11

From Enola, PA
I think those emails are meant more for shops to buy flies for their bins. Or possibly an individual tier that comes up with a killer pattern, cant keep up with demand and doesnt want to sell the rights to a big company.

i have received a couple of them and my first thought was "WTH? I started a business to tie flies not to buy them" :)

Posted on: 2/20 15:07

uhh...nevermind

From Portage, PA
Same thoughts I have Crotalus, I did laugh when I read the email. Just thought the idea of natives or tribes man tying flies was intriguing.

Posted on: 2/20 15:26

From Landenberg, PA
Short rod - you noted that English was his 2nd language no ?

I get the point about spam. And yes kids may have been involved, but in some countries trade helps the communities - mostly democratic ones but not always.

Posted on: 2/20 16:55

Some of my friends and I made a deal with a guy in Kenya to tie some flies for us. We specified the brand of hooks and he sent us samples to see their work. We had to buy a min. of 144 dozen. They use the Umpqua samples to go by. No body complained about the flies when they came in and I think the most expensive fly was around .50. I don't have his contact info because my good friend and fishing buddy, past away last week, and he handled the ordering and all.............

Posted on: 2/20 19:33

My condolences, Biggie.

Posted on: 2/20 21:33
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Ferguson Twp.
That's a shame big, sorry to hear that.

Posted on: 2/20 21:48

a little OT, but stay with me here....

I was on a train in Germany a few years ago, sitting in the bottom level of a double-decker coach. It was crowded and the only spots left were next to a fridge / chest where every 10-15 minutes a hardworking young man would come to restock his supply of snacks and drinks before hustling up and down the stairs to the upper levels to sell people snacks. It was summer and he was sweating from the hard work, but he was hustling nonetheless. One of my fellow travellers was a stereotypical german 30-something perpetual college student / hippie, and he took a moment to ask this hard-working snacks guy, who incidentally was of turkish descent, whether he felt exploited by "the man" since he was having to work so hard for what was assumed to be a meager wage. And the young man said "what? no, not at all, I'm happy to have a job to help pay for my college expenses"

So for me the point is.... what may seem like a crap job and exploitation to us spoiled / fortunate americans may be a great way to achieve a better life for someone from a place like africa. That rich-poor gap is unfortunate, and any one fly tying operation in a poor country could still be exploitative, who knows, but in a globalized world, we have to be careful not to project and not to judge too quickly based on our own local values.

It would be one of those great ironies if rich people took their business elsewhere because they were concerned about the assumed working conditions.... and as a result the little village fly-tying industry in africa failed to make it, and the workers went back to subsistence farming....

Posted on: 2/20 22:22

From Banshee
Kenyans may be OK you have to beware of those Nigerian fly tyres. I once got an email from a Nigerian fly tyer .....................

Posted on: 2/21 7:36

From Portage, PA
Mikesl you sum up why I posted this actually.

Posted on: 2/21 8:21

From Philadelphia PA
Quite often I get some e-mail from a gent in Africa claiming he has millions of dollars in an estate and needs someone one to look after and spread the monies around wisely.....

Biggie: There should be some paperwork on it somewhere.

My condolences to you and family for the loss of a friend.

Posted on: 2/21 11:18
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

How much do you think the tiers are getting per fly tied?

The flies are selling online for what? 50 cents a piece?

Both the wholesaler and the online retailer must make a profit. And the hook and materials cost some money. And it costs some money to ship the hooks and materials to Africa, and to ship the flies to the US, and from the wholesaler to the retailer.

So, starting at 50 cents and subtracting all those costs, what does the fly tier get for his labor, per fly?

Posted on: 2/21 11:23

I would bet they get very little in the wholesale channel, maybe 5-10c a fly... but that would still represent one of the better cash salaries for a day's work in some parts of the world.

And of course the manufacturing shops get more dealing with the end customer direct than with the middlemen, hence the letter looking for direct customers / buying groups.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if, in a few years, someone running a small african fly tying business was a member on this forum, and took order inquiries by email / PM with a strong referral business.

I love buying specialized, locally tied flies from a small fly shop for $2 a piece... but I think there is room in the market for this kind of direct semi-custom flytying business, it's just a matter of communication infrastrucutre and the spread of internet access, etc.

Posted on: 2/21 12:25

From Portage, PA
$2 bucks a piece seems high

Posted on: 2/21 14:21

From Clearville Pa
Quote:

mike_richardson wrote:
$2 bucks a piece seems high

nope, in most shops thats the going price

Posted on: 2/21 14:51

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com