One More Brite Lite Buzzer Question

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

Dave mcPhail ties this fly in size 10 through 20. I can see it imitating a chironomidae in the smaller sizes but what do you think the fly is supposed to be in size 10 and 12?

I hope I don't get an answer that makes me think I am asleep at the vise. :)

Well I guess we will both be asleep at the vise because I have wondered the same thing. I have seen quite a few midge recipes that the recommended hook sizes go up to 12 or even 10. Mutant queen bee midges? You got me.

here's a pic...

Attachments

• lite-brite-buzzer.jpg
    lite-brite-buzzer.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 2
Looking at the picture from McPhail that Dave below posted, I'd say mutant midge on steroids. ;-)

You guys ever notice that he talks funny?

When you live far away, sometimes there's different animals. No snakes, either. Oh, those Irish, never a thread about poking sunning rattlers with their fry rods, eh?

You plan on doing some stillwater trout fishing?

Tie them to match the naturals found where you will be fishing. For PA and most of the US I'm guessing 18-28. Zebra midges and Al's rats are looking good now.
Mike.

I think what FrequentTyer is trying to say, nicely (and Gary is trying to say cryptically and awkwardly while impaired) is it is often best stick to proven patterns and/or patterns tied to match the naturals found in the streams we fish.

Tying off the wall or experimental patterns can be fun, but most times they fail to produce as well as the tried and true patterns.

MD_Gene wrote:
Dave mcPhail ties this fly in size 10 through 20. I can see it imitating a chironomidae in the smaller sizes but what do you think the fly is supposed to be in size 10 and 12?

I think here in PA we're used to some pretty small bugs in the trout fishing game. Out West, and particularly in lakes and ponds, midge pupae can run several sizes larger than what we think is typical. Moreover, sometimes a fly that is larger - but still matches the shape,color, and action of the natural - can better attract fish, esp in larger lakes with very clear water.
Aside from imitating a midge, something like this in larger sizes will still function as a good general impression nymph not unlike those popularized by the Euro nymphing crowd. This fly in size #12 would make a good caddis larvae imitation.

afishinado wrote:
Tying off the wall or experimental patterns can be fun, but most times they fail to produce as well as the tried and true patterns.

True.
However, going down this road from time to time makes one a better tier and opens insight on the entire fly tying process. The most innovative tiers (think of Popovics or any of a number of guys/gals from past years) have always been experimenters. Once in awhile, such experimentation can produce a real killer fly that is different from what the fish are accustomed to seeing and that they can't resist.

Fishidiot wrote:
afishinado wrote:

True.
However, going down this road from time to time makes one a better tier and opens insight on the entire fly tying process. The most innovative tiers (think of Popovics or any of a number of guys/gals from past years) have always been experimenters. Once in awhile, such experimentation can produce a real killer fly that is different from what the fish are accustomed to seeing and that they can't resist.

True!.....once in a while.

I too love to experiment with patterns and try as well as invent new ones. I teach tying, and see a lot of flies that new tyers bring in.....some real crazy stuff. While that's fine / fun.....many cannot even dub very well or properly wing a dry fly.

Or on the stream, I often run into guys asking "whatyacatchinumon?" I look into their fly boxes and see they tie their own flies. I look through all kind of junk and bling and dust bunny flies looking for anything that even remotely resembles the blue wing olives floating downstream. I usually give them a few flies and wish them luck.

My advice to a new tyer is first, before going off on your own and inventing patterns or attempting to tie things you see on the Internet, learn, practice and master the basic techniques and materials which are the building blocks of fly tying. Once learned and mastered, your options are as limitless as your imagination.

But with that said, peek into the fly box of most of the experienced and successful anglers and I would bet you see many of the tried and true patterns and/or hatch matchers lined up in their box.

If your tying time, fishing time as well as budget is limited, I suggest you learn to tie up what you fish with and what matches the hatch in the streams you fish.

I tie a few experimental patterns of something I see or invent and give it a try. Every once in a while I find something that works well in a given situation or for a hatch. That's part of the fun of tying your own flies.

So there are people who follow recipes? Unimaginable. Takes all the fun away.

MD_Gene wrote:

chironomid

http://www.flycraftangling.com/index.asp?p=125

img_chironomids_pupa_2.jpg

http://www.skip-morris-fly-tying.com/the-truth-about-chironomids-part-one.html

MD_Gene wrote:

I hope I don't get an answer that makes me think I am asleep at the vise. :)

I've heard that over in Europe they have some pretty big midges, so maybe it's just an imitation of some of them.

Back