Ocean City fly box

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

Headed to Ocean City, MD on Tuesday, and would like to know what I should tie...so far I just have a bunch of Clousers in various colors from size 4 to 3/0, and a few Beach Combers in tan, olive, chartreuse and white in sizes 2 to 1/0. What else should go in the Ocean City fly box?

deceivers.
half-and-halfs.
gurglers.

shrimp and crabs too. could find a puppy drum or weakies..

Sniper,
The fish you're most likely to encounter from the beach at OC MD this time of year would probably be fluke (summer flounder) and smallish bluefish. For the former, a basic, green over white Clouser is tough to beat. Fluke often lay up right in the wash in very shallow water. If there are any stripers around, the Clouser will get them too. For the blues, have some bright colored, flashy streamers in the 2-3" range with a wire bite tippet as even small blues have serious teeth.
Good luck with your trip!

question when fishing the ocean via fly rod is it advisable to fish from a boat or is it possible to fish from sure just curious never fished salt .....

There's lots of talk about surf fishing on the warm water board. It's pretty common. When someone talks about surf fishing, they are almost always talking about standing on the beach.

But yeah, a boat would be optimal.

Water is hot, surf is tough. I'd be quite happy with a boat and an estuary or back bay to stick it in.

Most people don't have the privelidge of surf capable water craft. Boat also lets you find and chase schools of bait crushing fishes.

Back