Nymph Head Evolution Stone Fly

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I bought a ton of these heads last year but never gave them much time. I tied this stonefly and a few others up this past weekend.

The dubbin is dark hares ear. I have never tested one of these in the water so I can't say if I found the heads to make any difference or not. I know the standard bead I use on my stonefly patterns works well.

Anxious to give this bug a toss. I love chucking big stones in the winter. Hoping for the weather to cooperate this weekend to give them a few casts.

Attachments

• nymph head stone 2.jpg
    nymph head stone 2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 18
  • nymph head stone.jpg
    nymph head stone.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 5
Looks good. Have you come up with a way to keep the heads from spinning? I bought a pack of those and cant seem to get them to stay put.

I wrap lead wire and sandwich it as best I can up to the head. The lively legz, which reminds me I owe quite a few to some of you, has a rubber tab. I snip a bit of that off and slide it up under as well. When I finish the dubbing behind the head I try and angle my bobbin to get up and under. You may be able to put a looser spin to it, and get it up under there as best I can.

Nomad, i either use lead and push it up or put a drop of loc tite underneath it.

fisherboy3 wrote:
Nomad, i either use lead and push it up or put a drop of loc tite underneath it.

I have tried lead and it didnt work as well as I wanted. I am using the xs size so when I tried the loc-tite it got everywhere. I guess I need to keep trying until I get it to work the way I want.

Try Krazy Glue. Use a dubbing needle/bodkin to apply, don't use a lot of it or it takes forever to dry and adhere. Make sure there is thread under it. Krazy Glue doesn't adhere well to bare hooks. I use it for several fly tying applications.

Nice looking tie. Would love to throw them to some steelhead.

Put the head on, then tie some thread base down in front of the head. Whip finish, cut thread and put the loc-tite on that thread base. Push the head over the thread and glue and reattach the thread behind it like normal.

Back