Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Non-Hackle Dry Flys

From Butler
jason: i probably should invest in new feathers -- i just dont want to drop the money until I know for sure that i am going to be tying my own flies and wont have to buy them anymore -- i'll cave eventually though ..

im gonna try that stevie

thanks guys!

Posted on: 2009/4/7 16:09

From Greensburg, PA
its probably not your feathers...I still have necks from 20 years ago I still use now and then. Would it make it easier? It might. But it's probably not the source of your frustration. If you really want to know. Buy a pack of whiting 100s. Enough dry fly hackle for about 100 flies in about a dozen preselected feathers. You can find them for less than $15 if you look. If these feathers make a world of difference, you have your answer. No need to invest 100's of dollars.

Posted on: 2009/4/7 16:17

After skimming this thread yesterday and having difficulties myself tying dry hackle in I have to say Jay's method worked well for me especially once I blended it with Heritage's.

I always get a few barbules (sp?) that don't cooperate and point out over the hook eye. Drives me crazy because I just can't seem to cut them off flush with the thread. There is always a small stubble left.

I have come to the conclusion in order to improve you need to tie, tie, tie dries. They DO get better as long as you don't let it frustrate you. Sometimes I cut a piece of a coffee straw 1/8" long and split it length wise to slip your thread through. Place it over the hook eye and past the head. This will hold your hackle back giving you 2 free hands to finish the head off. Also you can cut a V in the hackle on the bottom of your fly so it sits correctly in the water.

Before you give up on dries let some fish vote on it's true appearence you might be very suprised at yourself. The other week I threw a very odd looking BWO comparadun and much to my suprise a brown grabbed it. It looked awful to me but just goes to reinforce the fact that commercial ties are to satisfy the fisherman and not always the fish.

Last don't be afraid to spend an hour tying a single fly only to foul up the head and have to cut the whole thing apart and start over. Look at it as 1 less garbage fly towards a good one and besides if you don't use the 10 yr old capes there just gonna collect dust. Use em up and relax you deserve a pat on the back just for trying many are to intimidated to even attempt such a task.

Just my $.02

Posted on: 2009/4/8 8:33

I 100% agree with the new genetic hackle take.

I had been using some early 1990s Metz capes. I was having a rough time getting decent looking and floating flies.

A few years ago I bought a Whiting 1/4 saddle (Silver grade). It was night & day! Instantly my flies looked and acted much better.

I suggest the 1/4 saddles unless you are a production tier. They'll last for many years and you can use the money you save to buy more colors.

If you can't foot the investment in quality hackle, stick to comparaduns and buy your haclked dries. Comparaduns (and sparkleduns) are excellent flies and are a heck of a lot cheaper to tie. You can also tie emergers with CDC for difficult fish. The only possible drawback is floatation: you might have issues in fast water and you probably can't drop a weighted nymph off the back. I like beadheads off of parachutes. Even then floatation can be an issue. This year I'm trying foam parachute posts.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2009/4/8 9:03

From Butler
ok --- this might sound like a really dumb question -- but - ive been doing some scouring and when you say "comparaduns" and "sparkleduns" - what exactly do you mean -- is that just the material that goes in to tie the duns? For example - ive been tying some PMD's with deers hair for the wing and white hackle feathers for the tail with yellow dubbing -- would that be considered a "comparadun"? dumb question, i know

Posted on: 2009/4/8 17:09

From Pittsburgh
The compara line simply uses deer hair as the wings and legs in place of the hackle, so yes your ties would be compara duns. If you can find the book Hatches II, it gives you a good description from the people who originated it. There are comparaduns, emergers, and nymphs.

Here are some samples:
http://www.flyrecipes.com/index.php/Search.html?searchword=compara

Sparkleduns would be more with the tail / trailing shuck material. That link shows some sparkle / compara fly combos.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 17:23

From Greensburg, PA
sound like what you are tying...does it look like this?

Attach file:

jpg  spardun3a.jpg (13.75 KB)
49_49dd166dafe8a.jpg 350X245 px

Posted on: 2009/4/8 17:26

From Butler
ok! - thanks David - that makes a lot more sense -- all these pre-fixes in the fly names never cease to confuse me -- I always just think to myself "another damn fly, #OOPS#"

Posted on: 2009/4/8 17:27

From Butler
tom: looks pretty much exactly like that -- i'm gonna take some pictures right now and try to get them up within the next couple hours ...

Posted on: 2009/4/8 17:27

From Schwenksville
There's always the No-Hackle Dry. Dave Hughs book- Trout Flies- explains it. It's kind of tricky at first but is very effective.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 9:14

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com