New portable Tying Bench

Nate540

Nate540

So I thought I would share my new bench. I've been working on this the past week. I have no real place to tie so its a bit of a pain to set up and tear down all the time so I thought I would build this and just put the whole thing on the shelf when not in use. The legs fold like a try table and pop off so you can just put the bench on any table. Just needs a little more sanding and a nice poly finish. I'm also going to drill some holes on the side rail for tools but haven't decided how many yet. Let me know what you guy think and suggestions if you have any. Thanks

Nathan

Forgot the pic

Attachments

• Bench.jpg
    Bench.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 3
Very nice! Be careful pushing you chair up to it though. With that style of legs you may bump into the legs before getting close enough. My bench has a similar problem but I'm used to it.

Yeah I tried it out last night I just put my feet on either side it not bad

That looks awesome. Great job!

I have a designated tying area but I always tie off of a portable desk. I like the flexibility to tie anywhere in the house. My portable desk was crudely made by my father and can best be described as a piece of crap. But it was his so now its mine and it will never be replaced. Having a wood shop I have also built a few for friends. heres what I learned from my dads and incorporated into the ones I built.

1) I like my thread, lead, tinsel and tubing in reach. I found I can not have to many dowels to store them on. When I think I have enough I wish I had 6 more. I have pretty much maxed out the dowels on my dads so I may build an extension but I really don't want to change his design to drastically.

2) I like bobbins, lots of cheap bobbins. I have a dozen holes up one side just for bobbins. I always need more bobbins.

3) my scissors, wire cutters, whip finishers, magnet on a stick, bodkin, threader go up the other side

4) I don't like shallow wells since they are not versatile enough for me. Instead of using the shallow wells I built about a 4" wide box with four compartments out of 3/8" material. It runs the length of the desk and its height matches the side rail. It is not attached to the actual desk. I use it to store my head cement, uv light, super glue, hair stackers, combs and brushes. It has plenty of room to temporarily store the stuff I am actually using at the time. I'm kind of goofy in that I like some semblance of organization while I'm actually tying.

You built yours well. Have fun with it.

What size holes did you dill for the different tools? I'm just worried I will drill holes to big/small in places for a certain tool then figure out thats not where I want it

11/64 for my bobbins and 3/16 for my scissors and other stuff.you could probably go smaller as well. The holes don't need to be that big. The more important thing is the spacing so you don't crowd your stuff. Drill some holes in a piece of scrap and test it out the best hole for your tools. 11/64 will cover just about everything so you can move various stuff around without worry. Just remember to keep the things you use the most up front.

Back