New Pattern, which do you like?

djmyers

djmyers

Here is some pics of the crawfish pattern and a streamer pattern I have been playing around with. Let me know what you think and what would make them better, more appealing.

Attachments

• Chain Gang Crawfish angora.jpg
    Chain Gang Crawfish angora.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Chain Gang Crawfish swiss straw.jpg
    Chain Gang Crawfish swiss straw.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Chain Gang Crawfish wiggle dubbing.jpg
    Chain Gang Crawfish wiggle dubbing.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 3
  • chain gang streamer.jpg
    chain gang streamer.jpg
    625 KB · Views: 2
I likey the streamer. Never had much luck with dads.

I like the stream and the crayfish.

The only thing I can think if with the crayfish though.....is if they are for warm-water they will hold their claws up in a defensive manner. I think for stripping it's awesome.

DJ -

Very nice ties. The only concern I have is with the streamer. The tail extends very far from the hook. You may find you miss a lot of trout because they tend to strike the fly at the rear and since the tail extends so far from the hook you may miss some takes.

mcwillja wrote:
DJ -

Very nice ties. The only concern I have is with the streamer. The tail extends very far from the hook. You may find you miss a lot of trout because they tend to strike the fly at the rear and since the tail extends so far from the hook you may miss some takes.

I agree about hooking trout with this fly. Looks like you would get some great movement in the water. If you kept the tie the same, maybe a stinger hook would work.

Very nice ties I was just screwing around with crawfish the other night and tied some mini's on a #12 2x wet fly hook for trout.

My intent was to research when baby crawfish are most active and fish it at those times. I like the beadchain for extra movement and flash.

I wouldn't worry about the streamer , except maybe on stocked fish. Most predator fish strike the head and swallow the baitfish headfirst. Both of those flies are awesome , nice work.

Large trout don't nip at the tail. Hitting something in the tail isn't going to kill it. Trout, especially browns go for the head. They want it dead, not as a dance partner. I fish a lot of articulated streamers and lately, I have been cutting the rear hook off. Nice ties, and I like the streamer. Might be a great night fly.

Back