Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Need some input on a product I'm designing

From Portage, PA
I am designing a product for the fly fishing industry and am building my test pilot as we speak.

I want to know the following:

What tools you typically have at hand?

How many thread spools you would keep in front of you in a session?

Are you happy with pegs to hold thread spools?

What items do you wish you had holders for while tying?
(bobbin, needle, whip finisher,ets.)

Would you rather have a tool holder/tray, or holes in your tying station for tool storage?

What other miscellaneous tool/ devices would you like to have at your finger tips?

Any thing you would want to add to this would be great. I can't reveal anything about this product yet because it is totally new and nothing like it on the market. I have a potential investor for the patent as well. If I had spoken my idea with you on this please refrain from posting any details, Thanks.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 9:54

Re: Need some input on a product I'm designing

From South Central PA
For tools, drill holes in a piece of 2X4 and be done with it. If need be take a paper hole punch, punch foam dots from a flat foam to line the bottom of each hole to protect scissor points. Looks good, costs practically nothing, stable yet portable.

For spools, the thread racks from the craft store are ok, I was given one, but frankly you are better off keeping these out of the light and dust if you have a large collection, so a drawer is best, or a couple of rows in a tray tackle box or similar. Nylon threads like Danville, Rumpf and UTC are vulnerable to light. Waxed thread attracts dust and most are waxed. If you use them all the time probably doesn't matter too much, though.

Hope that helped.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 10:39

From Portage, PA
What size holes are you talkling for drilling. I plan on haveing some pegs to hold 3 spools of thread each. Some counter suck holes for bead storage as well. And some tool/feather holders.

What else am I forgetting?

DGC, this is not a home project, I am going to try and sell this product and turn a decent profit. I personally can see the ease of you wood block Idea but this thing will be a conversation piece and very functional. All I can say about it. LOL

Posted on: 2013/3/19 10:53

From Norwich, CT
i already have an oasis tying bench that holds quite a few spools, tools and cement bottles. what more could i ask for?

i think these products have already been designed. some need only slight modifications to be personalized to fit the user.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1G1T ... ei=QX1IUajaNMfLrQfes4CgAg

you would have to design some really kick ass product that nobody else has come up with to make tyers switch their particular setups for yours.

show us some of your designs for better feedback.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 10:58

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

http://www.danica.com/flytier/nfrechette/nfrechette.htm

From Portage, PA
LOL, nothing will be released until i get the patent, and it is not even close to what you posted. It is not a station like this at all. it is more of a mobile set up. Trust me it is going to be a really "kick ass product" to quote you.

I am thinking also of some sort of hanger to have for hanging hackle pliers.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 11:02

From NC PA Mountains
Just curious why you need input/ideas from us for something that you already think is going to be the next best thing to sliced bread??

Posted on: 2013/3/19 11:06

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
^this

Posted on: 2013/3/19 11:20

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Portage, PA
Where did I say will be the next best thing to sliced bread. Just said there is nothing like it out there, and it will be pretty "kick ass"

Posted on: 2013/3/19 11:23

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

mike_richardson wrote:
Where did I say will be the next best thing to sliced bread. Just said there is nothing like it out there, and it will be pretty "kick ass"

Ok, I'll edit my original post..sorry.

How's this...
Just curious why you need input/ideas from us for something that you already think it will be pretty "kick ass" & there is nothing like it out there?

Posted on: 2013/3/19 11:36

From Camp Hill
I just wish you'd stop cluttering up the fly tying forum with stuff like this, events, & posts about your old vise to be honest

Posted on: 2013/3/19 11:37

From Norwich, CT
i screwed a 10 cent cup holder onto the side of my tying bench to hold hackle pliers. why would i need a special bracket?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/3/19 11:54

From Portage, PA
Sorry to clutter up your forum. Some posts are not soley for the intention of providing information.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 11:55

From Camp Hill
Quote:

mike_richardson wrote:
Sorry to clutter up your forum. Some posts are not soley for the intention of providing information.

This is the furthest thing from what was intended. Just pointing out the last time I checked we had an events forum. Everything isn't an attack on you. I probably overreacted, same disdain I have for twitter and facebook and posting every idle thought. That's my problem not yours. Carry on.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 12:00

From King Of Prussia, Pa
It should have cup holders and racing stripes. Racing stripes make everything they are on look badass.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 12:03

From Portage, PA
Instead of racing stripes Ill paint it like a trout.

Swanson, I did not mean that with mallice in anyway, and did not take it as an attack. I look at online forums as a community not just an information "highway if you will" If it bothers other I will stop posting things like that.

Nfrechet, that is similar to the bracket at what i had in mind. I am a mechanical designer so we always over desribe out intentions, and i probably say bracket 50 times a day. I was not however thinking of the same idea and I think yours will be much more cost effective.

Thanks for the constructive advice so far.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 13:03

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com