Re: Need some input on a product I'm designing

From SEPA
Quote:

mike_richardson wrote:
Thanks for the input on the magnets.

Magnets, how will they work?

Posted on: 2013/3/20 11:52

How compact is this expected to be? Would it fit under the seat in front of you on an airplane?

Actualy, I wonder if you could even bring it on a plane with dangerous items like dubbing needles and scissors?

Posted on: 2013/3/20 11:57

From West Chester
If you do go the patent route do not use one of those fly by night patent companies, get a patent attorney and do it right.

Speaking from experience, skip the patent idea, imo it's not worth it. You can spend up to $20,000 to get the patent and for what the right to sue? Just imagine what that will cost you to stop knockoffs. If what you produce is all that, then you will be better off and $20,000 ahead of the game.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 12:05

From Nicholson PA
Magnetic sign board works great for keeping those little hooks you drop under control.and as for the rest 3 pair of shears,big,med,small,At least 4 bobbins,White,red,black and gell spun.2 hackel clamps,2 whip finish tools,Large and small,bobbin threader,Hair stackers large and med.Bubbing loop tool,assorted pins and needles.No pins for thread or floss unless the are out out the way and can be solo not stacked.I like to keep them seperate. Places for glues and clear coats. AND of course racing strips and a kooly holder.Cant wait to see it.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 12:17

From NC PA Mountains
Here’s my portable tying station..
Oh, I did not make it.
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/3/20 12:34

Brad,

Where did you buy that? Did someone custom make it for you or is it commercially produced? It doesn't look like it's much bigger than a medium sized suitcase.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 12:38

From Lancaster Co.
Flames > Stripes

Posted on: 2013/3/20 12:43

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Brad doesn't need a whole lot he only ties 5 flies...LOL

Posted on: 2013/3/20 12:44

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

sandfly wrote:
Brad doesn't need a whole lot he only ties 5 flies...LOL

Hey, hey I tied 22 flies this year! Hell, I'm still using flies I tied 10 years ago!

Posted on: 2013/3/20 12:46

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

GreenWeenie wrote:
Brad,

Where did you buy that? Did someone custom make it for you or is it commercially produced? It doesn't look like it's much bigger than a medium sized suitcase.

A guy named Mike Hampton from the Williamsport area made it for me over 15 years ago.
He is a very talented fish carver also. I have no idea where he is now. I also have a wooden rod & reel box that has a small tying station built into it from Mike.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 12:50

From The Frozen Tundra of WI
Quote:

mike_richardson wrote:
Thanks for the input on the magnets. I have the thing drawin up with counter sunk area for magnet installation. it will have great functionality since it is counter sunk. You wond be able to bump the hooks and make them fall all over the place.

This being said my current set up is me table in my den and a tote filled with all of my tools and such hap-harzardly placed through out.

I did just purchase a cheap plastic drawer set for my nymph stuff.

Are you by chance Irish?

Posted on: 2013/3/20 13:08

From Portage, PA
the entire set up with case and material holding inserts will be 10 x 12 or so. I just tested it out at lunch in the pack and such. Made it very easy to carry enough materials to tie about 6 different flies, the pack is going to have inserts for tools and inserts that zip to hold material.

Ok, enough detail giving i will be screwed. I am not that worried about the patent because my investor has all of the machines to produce this product, all the discounts on material, an already knows all of the patent stuff. He said a rough guess would be about 7500 for the patent.

The thing I am desinging has nothing like it and to secure a patent on this and to be the only person who can sell something like this would be worth the invest ment. for sure. I am dreaming big but just the functionality of the test pilot is getting me pretty pumped. I hope to get the finalized product developed soon. I need to come up with a way to secure the vice more effectivly. the standard knobs that come with vises leave a lot to be desired for a sturdy hold. I researched knobs with a nylon tip that i think would work a lot better.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 13:12

From Portage, PA
"Are you by chance Irish?"

German and Irish and fit the steryotpes associated with both. ;)

Posted on: 2013/3/20 13:12

Once you work with the initial test pilot version and make some changes you should select 4-6 other people, get them to sign confidentiality/non-compete agreements, and give them the revised version and let them all use it for a little while (make sure they all work separately so you get 4-6 inidividual feedbacks). It's basically a small scale consumer test because what you think might be the cat's ass in design they might think sucks and offer some good alternatives. You'd hate to mass produce the final production model and see reviews with the same 3-4 comments of, "this couldn't have been better." Flush those problems out early before it hits the street.

What kind of a warranty will come with it?

Posted on: 2013/3/20 13:23

From NC PA Mountains
It obvious this is a portable fly tying station. There have been many manufactured already, so my question is can you still patent something that has been made already in many different forms?
I think you should listen to DotMan.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 14:07

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com