Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Need some advice

From Lehigh Valley, PA
I find myself tying a bit more than I usually do. I was wondering when it comes to hackeling for drys is it better to be a little more sparse or a little more on the heavier side??? I have trouble with drys.....

Posted on: 2013/2/22 7:22

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."

Re: Need some advice

From Downingtown
Personally I like it sparse, but that's just me. Tying them on the full side isn't bad though. You can always use your nippers to trim some fibers off while on stream if necessary. A little tougher to add more fibers streamside if you get my drift.

Posted on: 2013/2/22 9:55

In slow water sparse patterns are often more attractive to the fish, in fast water heavy hackle will help it stay afloat and the fish won't be as picky. It depends on the specific hatch too, and where you like to fish. There is no right answer here.

Posted on: 2013/2/22 10:54

From Newville, PA
I tie mayfly imitations very spare. I think it allows the fly to sit down on the water. The attractor I use for natives (Royal Wulff) are hackled quite heavily because I want the fly to ride high.

Posted on: 2013/2/22 20:50

From Ohio
Quote:
In slow water sparse patterns are often more attractive to the fish, in fast water heavy hackle will help it stay afloat and the fish won't be as picky. It depends on the specific hatch too, and where you like to fish. There is no right answer here.

I would say tie them both ways so you have flies for different situations.

Posted on: 2013/2/23 8:37

From Pittsburgh
I think sparsely hackled flies work better. Usually make 1-2 turns behind the wing, and 3-4 turns in the front, at most.
I also use smaller size hackle than the traditional 1.5 to 2 times the hook gap - by going with one that's the same length as the hook gap.

Posted on: 2013/2/23 9:54

From Nazareth PA
I do t he same as mentioned above. In slow water I use less hackle on my flies and in fast water I use more to help the fly stay on top.

Posted on: 2013/2/23 17:45

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com