• Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

4 versions and a very simple tie.

Size 12-16 Mustad Hook
Black Thread
1/16 inch thick Stretch Foam
2 strands Peacock Herl
Black or Dark Gray Hackle of some kind (optional)

ELK/DEER WINGED BEETLE

SDC12135.jpg

Wrap the hook with thread.

SDC12142.jpg

Cut the foam like this for a size 14 hook. The hook in the pic is a size 10 streamer hook for reference. This actually fits the size 14 mustad hook exactly.

SDC12150.jpg

Tie in the foam, then the 2 strands of peacock herl and the hackle.

SDC12153.jpg

Wrap the herl to the front. I use 2 stands and usually wrap it to the front, then the back again and back to the front. This makes a nice bettle under body. Tie it off at the front but leave some room at the front of the fly before the hook eye. Wrap the hackle to the front also and tie it off. Cut the hackle on the top of the fly and the sides.

SDC12154.jpg

Bend the foam to the front and wrap it nice and smooth at the front of the fly. Cut off any excess and wrap any extra foam flat to the hook.

SDC12164.jpg

Add your elk wing just like a caddis. Leave a Caddis style head on the front. Trim wings and head to have the caddis look.

Here are to shots of what the trout will see. One with flash and the other with out which accents its silhouette very nicely.
SDC12165.jpg

SDC12166.jpg

After taking the fly off the vise, cut the legs even with the point of the hook. I like the fly to have legs but sit a bit lower in the surface film.

Another way to tie the fly is with out the hackle (legs), it works just fine also. I catch a ton of fish on these patterns in the summer months.

Another way to tie the fly is to skip the wings all together. When doing this, the length of the foam I showed you is perfect. When folding over to the front, tie and leave a head on the bug. Whip, glue and done. Legs/Hackle is also optional on this fly.
SDC12167.jpg

Using these formulas you can tie 4 different styles or find the one you like. The fish like them all. :-D

I fish a foam beatle almost exactly like this except it has rubber legs instead of hackle. Its, as they used to say when they meant it, a killer.

heading to Durango Colo. in July and on to Yellowstone. I was informed to bring some beetles along I will tie this pattern for sure. I have been tying the usual patterns but I like this much better. thank you for the post.

Summer trout flies is something I just am lacking. I tie a few here and there, but just don't use them. I HATE tying hoppers, and just lose interest in trout fishing by the time it comes around to using terrestrials. I use this fly sometimes, but just don't get out enough in the summer to have too much of a basis as to what works for me. Had a decent success using a green inchworm pattern last year. (green foam lashed to a hook) I need to hit the vise and tie up some terrsetrials for this summer though. I think the fishing might be quite good this year. Can't get much worse compared to last.

Thanks for the pattern.

Sal, just tied a few of these...a nice quick pattern. looking forward to using them soon. thanks.

Yeah I tied some up as well. There's pics in my thread "Extra Terrestrial Life" below this one. Gunna try em out tomorrow!

Bump...

stopped off at the warm water stream this evening.

Sal, the sunfish and rockbass loved the elk hair wing beetle.

Back