My favorite steelhead and big brown trout fly.

Leteras

Leteras

I have done really well with this fly. It is killer for the steelhead. A buddy of mine also caught some really nice browns up in New York last year on it. Blue seems to be an underused color but it does produce if you give it a chance. Anyone else fish blue flies?

Attachments

• The_Don_King.jpg
    The_Don_King.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 13
I fish blue copper johns all the time, killer.

I was crushing steelhead on blue flies while other guys couldn't catch a thing in Erie last fall. When they want blue its on fire.

I just fished the Salmon river this past weekend for three days and did well on a very similar pattern. I tie mine with black wire for the body and chartreuse estaz or rootbeer estaz for the thorax and then with copper wing cases. chartreuse was the hot color for the dropbacks this trip.

Leteras,
Welcome to the PAFF forum.
No doubt, blue flies are killers - at least for steel and rainbows. I seem to recall that there were some semi scientific tests done some years ago which revealed that blue was the color that most consistently attracted rainbows.

I remember reading something about salmonids being able to see the color blue the easiest with the least amount of ambient light.

I definitely use blue in about 1/3 of my steelie flies and will fish them at first light, sundown, or since the sun doesn't exist in winter in erie county, anytime of the day.

My favorite depending on the type of water i'm fishing is a baby blue bunny leech. its drifts, or swings nice, and the zonker breathes.
Cool looking bug Leteras. I might have to wrap some of those up.

njk3395 wrote:
I fish blue copper johns all the time, killer.

+1 for the blue coper john. The steelhead realy like blue.

I have a dark blue metalic fly similar to the one I posted and it was my secret weapon at steratania last fall. I actually made guys leave the hole because I was hooking so many and they couldn't get a bite. I'll attach a picture. I tie it on a scud hook now the picture is of a J shaped hook.

Attachments

• Jelly_Caddis.jpg
    Jelly_Caddis.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 2
Madeleine with one of several giant Brown Trout from the Big Manistee River. But Flies such as the Super spey prawn and leech, the prowler and my favorite, the Phantom.

Back