Mustad 37160

lv2nymph

lv2nymph

Was wondering what everyone thinks of this hook, good or bad. Tied some stoneflies on them years ago. Thinking about getting a bigger size for the bigger stones.

If you already have them by all means use them though Size 12 and larger are fairly dull hooks and sharpening does not do the trick as much as it should. I would not go out of my way to buy them.

Like quite a few classic Mustad series, they can be bent without breaking which can be nice depending on the application. Oddly enough, I like them for Klinks but bend and shape quite a bit.

The size I have are 10,12 and you're right they are less than sharp. I like the shape of them and I'm having quite a time finding another hook that has the same shape(or close) and size I want without bending it, I know you can bend some hooks I just worry about doing that and if I can manage it I'd rather not. So, since we're here some advice on sharpening hooks correctly would be nice. I can't find the 37160's local so far but can get them on the ever lovin internet. Any one that has a fly shop and has them I'd like to hear from ya... Lookin for size six. Thanks.

In case anyone might be interested Gamakatsu and eagle claw has what looks to be the exact shape as the mustad.

Back