Must Have March Brown and Sulphur Patterns

MattM

MattM

Anyone care to share personal favorite recipes for these patterns that are must haves for central PA in mid to late May? My google searches only came up with a Stroup sulphur spinner soft hackle, but no recipe.

here are a few: March browns

Attachments

• MB spider.JPG
    MB spider.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 20
  • MB dry.JPG
    MB dry.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 19
  • MB.JPG
    MB.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 19
sandfly wrote:
here are a few: March browns

I tied a few of each of these patterns. Really only see MBs on Penns Creek and I'll be damned if I ever see a fish eat one. My favorite MB pattern is a Sulphur.

forgot you wanted recipes, try this for one

Attachments

• mb wet1.JPG
    mb wet1.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 7
partridge and orange,partridge and yellow,GRHE

Fished the sulphur hatch on the gunpowder with nothing but a partridge and yellow just for fun. Caught lots of fish.

BelAirSteve wrote:
Fished the sulphur hatch on the gunpowder with nothing but a partridge and yellow just for fun. Caught lots of fish.

No surprises here, its one my favorites for that.

mario66pens wrote:
BelAirSteve wrote:

No surprises here, its one my favorites for that.

Yep, that just makes sense.

For a sulphur dry on the Letort in the evenings I just tie a simple yellow fly, Catskill style. Cream hackle, same fibers for the tail, yellow dubbed body, also tie a few orange ones for a change of pace. If I tie in wings I usually just use a pair of CDC puffs in grey or white, mostly to help me see the fly when the sun is setting.

Here is a March Brown pattern that I'm tying up for the Jam weekend. I have heard that working a March Brown hatch underneath can be much more productive than on top. Maybe fishing a tandem wet fly rig with a March Brown pattern and a Sulphur wet fly would be worth a shot as well.

Hook: size 12 Daiichi 1550
Thread: Hot orange Pearsall silk
Tail: Brown speckled Partridge (a bit longer than normal)
Body: Red Fox fur blended with SLF Red Squirrel Abdomen dubbing
Rib: Medium Gold Ultra Wire
Wing: Hen Mallard Flank Feather tips
Hackle: Brown speckled Partridge

Attachments

• March Brown Wet Fly.jpg
    March Brown Wet Fly.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 15
sulphurnymph_zpsa91d0eab.jpg

Sulphur nymph
tail: bleached pheasant tail
body: hareline dubbing mixture of antique gold/slf spikey dubbing brown (A little more gold than brown
wing pad: turkey

Nice looking tie there John

Don't forget the spinners! :)

https://www.intheriffle.com/fishing-videos/fly-tying/rusty-spinner/

A stimulator in the right colors and sizes for the MB, I like a sulphur soft hackle for the early hatch, and for the spinner fall a rusty spinner.

IMGP1655.jpg

That looks pretty enticing GutCutter.

I have decent luck with compara duns and sparkle duns

Festus wrote:
That looks pretty enticing GutCutter.
Thank you. That and variations of it have taken some good ones for me.
IMGP0059.jpg

A few people at the JAM turned me onto a sulphur spinner pattern that slayed them compared to a rusty spinner last year.

Microfibets for the tail
orange dubbing for egg sack
whatever sulphur color you like for the body
catskill style hackle wraps and CUT the bottom flush.

Increased my takes on the spinners immensely over a rusty spinner.

I like parachutes for sulphurs. Can't wait to fish them for the JAM again this year.

^-------That sounds a lot like a pattern I bought at Spruce Creek a couple years ago, worked well on the LJ....also does the job locally. Guess I oughtta tie up few of those now too.

Back