Mouse patterns

billfrech

billfrech

Has anyone ever tried fishing a mouse pattern? Thoughts?

Any recommended relatively easy patterns that can be suggested?

Mouse patterns are a favorite of mine, so much so that I have an entire fly box dedicated to 'em.

Although I've played around with various patterns, honestly, you can pick from many patterns (the "Moorish Mouse" is a good one) or variations and do fine. Personally, I'm not a fan of the round, spun/clipped hair versions. Mouse patterns that are flatter and more streamlined swim better and look much more natural. It's also been my experience, that adding a stinger hook (where legal, don't use these in FFO areas in PA) really helps with hook-up percentages. About half the fish I catch on mice are on the stinger hook.
Mouse flies are a blast. And not just for night fishing. Bass smash 'em all day, every day - I caught several last week on a large mouse fly. Trout are a bit more finicky, but they'll smack 'em too, especially larger wild brown trout.

Mouse flies have been discussed a lot on the forum. Try the Advanced Search function to find and read some old chatter on the subject.

Thank you for the advice and guidance to elsewhere in the forum

I'd also add that you should keep your mouse flies on the smaller side, maybe a body length (- tail) of about 2-2.5 inches. Bigger mice are fun to tie and will elicit just as many hits, but your hook-up ratio will drop with bigger mice. Also - although I'm on the cheap side and use hand sharpened Mustad hooks for most of my streamer flies - for mice, you want to be careful to use high quality hooks and don't overdo the hook gap. Many commercial tied mice I see have hooks that are too large. A hook with a bite gap of around half an inch seems to stick better for me with the 2-3" body size mice I usually fish with. These days, I'm tying mice on a #1 Gamakatsu B10S hook, which is a straight shank, very sturdy hook with a good point. Hooks can make a big difference with mouse flies.

There's a good article in this month's American Angler magazine about mouse flies, which suggests that trout are more likely eating shrews than mice. Good article.

For some fun mouse fishing motivation, here's a good video of some folks fishing mice at night for upper Delaware trout:
Dudes Chucking Mice

elrodente'

There's some great advice, though I'd be hesitant on the stingers.

I also opt for smaller mice though I rarely tie them small. My travels are quite a ways from home so I usually end up buying a few smaller ones. (morrish)

Hookups are MUCH higher with the smaller rodents! I've had some that would grabt he tail and yank it under, never breaking the surface, but on the smaller bugs those hits are rare.

One thing I don't like about them, is when the fish are looking up you can hook them deep! I tried posting a pic from 2 weeks ago of one that was trying to digest it lol.

Really the main issue is the hook point is down, so hooking them deep is bad! Crimp your barbs!!!! I'd like to come up with a hook up or even a hook to the side morrish profile to help with better hookups. I think it would keep it out of the gills! At least up here they take them and when they do they can take them pretty hard!

I've noticed bows don't jump when they slurp a mouse like they do with basically....well....everything else! I don't know what's with that. Don't hesitate to fish during the day. Matter of fact my best days have come during daylight not at night. I obviously don't have brownies to play with so keep that in mind. Bows for whatever reason at least up here don't seem to care day or night.

For length I prefer a morrish that's 1.5" or smaller. Most of mine are 1.25" from the back of the body to the tip of the foam. Keep the tails on the shorter end as well! Too big and you'll get a misses or flat out refusals. Its cool to turn fish, exciting, but man those takes! I'm using 0x 7.5 leaders down to a 8lb fluro tippet.

I've found for me anyways the best drift is a slow downstream swing more than a typical atlantic style skating swing. I flip quartering down keep the rod up high until it starts swinging, slowly dropping the rod down as mickey comes around. You can introduce movement easily like this though keep it subtle.

Don't set until you feel fish, they'll turn a number of times to grab it! I've had a number of fish turn just to take it well after it passed them.

Don't hesitate to strip them either. That morrish reminds me of a hula popper for bass and I tell you what, the takes you get when they want it chugged are flat out dang impressive! it will scare the jeezers out of ya LOL! Just watch it, when they take like this they hit like a freight train and don't stop..unlike the typically slow slurpy takes in the slower water. Riffle water is fun as well but they generally take a lot better than slower water.

I don't bother with drag free drifts. its just no fun, but I'm sure it works at times. So for me I'll work down stream first swinging meat, or swing a rodent on my way back home in the more promising water.

I had an epic rodent day 2 weeks ago..it was beyond belief! 16 takes in 3 bends (stopped bothering to count after that it was nuts), I don't know how many fish took but it was a LOT of fish and a number of pigs at that! Thought about doing a post but haven't had the time to get pics to the computer and cant upload from the blasted cell. I'm hoping once I get the workbench done to get back after them...winters fast approaching up here, frost already zapped my maters and buddys have been in 7"es of snow!

ps, my OAL length is just shy of 3"es to the tip of the fur on the tail to the tip of the foam scoop on the front of the fly. I really think the tail is a skosh long on the leather side on this one. I don't remember the hook size and its not a wide gap style hook. Again I don't like the typical hook down hookups so I stay away from stingers and wide gap profiles on this bug. The morrish takes the typical streamer hooks well! Wide and flat!

Thanks for all the advice, feedback and video

have you seen the blue moon video?

careful mousing is beyond addicting! I'm glad more don't do it!!!

professionally unpaid morrish mouse tester haha!

Attachments

• mice.jpg
    mice.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 11
Might be a sign that your mousing hobby has gone too far when you enjoy tubby time with the product lol

I take my product testing seriously... :D

Honestly was giving a buddy a hard time about not mousing....I think I finally convinced him.

Attachments

• trout 1.JPG
    trout 1.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 8
a few happy customers......

Attachments

• trout 2.JPG
    trout 2.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 5
  • trout 3.JPG
    trout 3.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 5
  • trout.JPG
    trout.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 5
Love it! :lol:

Mouse in the house!

I tie, and fish, the "Blair Mouse Project".

Earlier this summer after a high water event that had flooded a local creek and quickly subsided, I waded out for some bassin. Soon noticed that the mouse naturals had made an appearance in the creek and so - naturally - decided to match the hatch! The bass approved and several LMs and SMs smashed my mouse fly in quick succession.

Yuh gotta love the summer mouse hatch/topwater bite. :lol:

Swim faster lil guy! Twenty inch predator closing in fast!

Gonna happen. :cool:

Attachments

• Mouse11.JPG
    Mouse11.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Mouse10.JPG
    Mouse10.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Mouse5.JPG
    Mouse5.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 8
Back