Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Mothballs to protect fly tying materials?

My vote is for Cedar. Love the smell. Forget about the chips though. Go to Lowes or any local lumber store and they sell cedar boards and sheets. I still keep mine in sealed containers but also keep a piece of cedar on the bottom of the container as a safety net. It is particulatly nice for materials that are fleshy and give off a little odor sometimes like deer tails and some skins/pelts.

Posted on: 2012/12/5 22:12

Re: Mothballs to protect fly tying materials?

From Central PA
Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:
Moth crystals and moth balls are chemically the same, and since the vapors are what kills the critters there is no real benefit to using the crystals. You don't need to have the direct physical contact with the material for these to be effective.
Mothballs are toxic (especially to kids and pets) , and long term exposure to the vapors can be neurotoxic. There is probably not a great risk if you use them carefully, but I personally don't do it. The best way to protect material is to properly store it in sealed containers. The one time I had an infestation was with some inherited material, and borax powder cleared that up very quickly.
Mike.

+1 on the borax. i harvest ALL of my natural material...

1) soak feathers and fur in water
2) wash is bucket with dish soap
3) rinse with water
4) ring out water
5) pin on cardboard and cover with borax and put in a cool dry place
6) when it starts snowing take fur and feathers, put in ziploc back and in your storage box/desk.

i never had a bug issue.

also, to restore feathers to their original/wild condition soak in coleman white gas and dry with a hair dryer. be careful that none of the fuzzy fibers get blown off the feather and sucked into the back of the hair dryer...you will have an instant redneck blow torch and will have to go out and kill another bird! yea, i speak from experience :)

Posted on: 2012/12/5 22:46

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com