Mole fly

nyflyguy

nyflyguy

Hi guys I was looking to tie the mole fly and in the recipe it says use beaver dubbing so the body sinks beneath the surface? Isn’t beaver dubbing used in dry fly bodies so it doesn’t sink? I’m one of those guys that when I tie I hate substituting materials. I like using the exact one used in the original pattern. My ocd I guess.

Has anyone fished this fly if so any luck? I usually tie patterns that take long time to make and require a bunch of materials. Wanted to give a simple pattern a go. Thanks

nyflyguy wrote:
Hi guys I was looking to tie the mole fly and in the recipe it says use beaver dubbing so the body sinks beneath the surface? Isn’t beaver dubbing used in dry fly bodies so it doesn’t sink? I’m one of those guys that when I tie I hate substituting materials. I like using the exact one used in the original pattern. My ocd I guess.

Has anyone fished this fly if so any luck? I usually tie patterns that take long time to make and require a bunch of materials. Wanted to give a simple pattern a go. Thanks

Looks like a simple pattern to tie that will catch fish. Natural Beaver dubbing for the body and CDC for the wing is what is called for in the pattern. Beaver dubbing in itself will not float the fly. The body should hang in the film according to the video. Easy tie > give it a try.

That is exactly where I got the idea to tie it. They make great videos.

This is one of the best tutorials I have ever seen. No commentary about how wonderful the tier is. To the point-- tying the fly.

The guy is Tim Flagler his YouTube channel is tightlines productions. Hundreds of vids like this. How I learned to tie.

A Mole fly tied down to size 24 has been my most effective midge pattern of late.

I was expecting a pattern to mimic a small rodent.
Lol.

DaveS wrote:
I was expecting a pattern to mimic a small rodent.
Lol.

It's actually named after the River Mole in England, and is a generic style of fly, not a single pattern. It's the wing out over the eye that makes it a Mole fly.

Because moles have wings and they are out front of their eyes.

I think it fairly well represents a “very small” mole. The CDC puff mimics the large front feet of the mole used for digging. The rest of the mole is a more or less undefinable lump of fur. Either way, fish it and it’ll produce.

Also, check out Flagler’s “smokejumper” video for an effective midge emerger pattern. Somewhat similar.

I use this fly often. I tie with 1 or 2 cdc feathers instead of the puff. The puffs sometimes don't hold form very well and seem to be a bit more easily slimed.

Thanks for the reply’s. I tied a bunch up waiting for the right opportunity to use it. Keep you posted.

the zelon musk midge is an awesome one too. also on tim's feed.

Back