Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Mold on hackle skins

From W. Norriton, PA
I have been taking the fly tying lessons at LLBean and having fun with it but, never got around to buying a kit. Well over the weekend I scored an entire kit from a CL listing for $30. All the basic tools, materials and big 4 drawer Plano box.

Problem is when I got it home, I noticed a musty smell. In brighter light, I could see many of the bags the materials are in had mold on and in them. I immediately rebagged everything and cleaned out the box.

My question is... Is there a way to kill the mold on the skins? Its not really bad, but enough to still carry an odor. The furs and feathers look clean and in great shape.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 11:30

Re: Mold on hackle skins

From Carbon County
I can't tell you from experience but I was told by someone knowledgable at a fly shop that mold on feathers is no bueno. He said to toss them right away and clean and rebag everything else. I don't remember exactly but I think he said it could be some kind of mites. But wait to hear from someone else who knows for sure before throwing away good hackles. Maybe if its just a little bit you can pick off the contaminated feathers and clean the rest.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 13:09

From Carbon County
Or maybe you can pluck the good feathers and toss the skin. Sorry I didn't see that you said skin the first time. But either way tools and storage for $30 is still a good deal.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 13:12

From Souderton PA
It is hard to know without seeing the skins, but I would try washing in hot water with plenty of dish detergent. Rub the soap in and make sure you get everything clean. Then rinse until the water runs clear. Dry with a hairdryer, and store In a new clean bag but not until very dry. I would recommend this even if you plan to pluck the skins to limit any contamination of the feathers.
Good luck,
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 20:21

From LV
You can probably nuke the materials, but don't re-use the bags. If you re-use the bags you re-introduce the mold.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 14:36

From Nazareth PA
Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:
It is hard to know without seeing the skins, but I would try washing in hot water with plenty of dish detergent. Rub the soap in and make sure you get everything clean. Then rinse until the water runs clear. Dry with a hairdryer, and store In a new clean bag but not until very dry. I would recommend this even if you plan to pluck the skins to limit any contamination of the feathers.
Good luck,
Mike.

I would also recommend that you rub Borax into the skins to help keep them dry.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 18:14

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

From Johnstown, PA
auriemma........i'm still sitting laughing at that avatar oh man now that's funny!!!!

Posted on: 2013/8/10 9:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com