Mixed wing salmon flies

turkey

turkey

Eunan, you might be the only one with any insight on mixed wings, but if anyone else has any experience with them, please join in.

So, what's the deal with them? I've read Kelson's description of them and it was confusing to me. I have no desire (for now) to tie built wing flies. Just the sourcing of the feathers makes me dizzy. But mixed wings seem as if they'd be a bit less stressful to achieve and I wouldn't mind as much fishing (ruining) them. Is there a good source of info on them? I find them quite attractive, even more so under water. Id like to learn about them. Thanks!

Any married or built wing fly will become a mixed wing after two or three swings.
In terms of a good reference, The Blacker Compendium by Bob Frandsen details how to tie mixed wings. The majority of Blacker flies were tied thus. I have the book, it's worth the money (about $40)

I should also add that built wing and mixed wing are fundamentally different in their construction and how they're tied to the hook

Thanks. I've almost purchased the Blacker book before. I'll put it on my list.

This topic cannot come up without the mention of Pennsylvania's own Don Bastian. I think it is fair to say that he is the leading authority on the subject. All the questions that you may have can be found on his site and blog. Happy tying.
donbastianwetflies.com/?

I think it's fair to say you're wrong here. Don doesn''t tie many, if any, mixed wing salmon flies. He's predominantly a Rangeley streamer and Bergman wet guy. Though there is no doubt he's a leading authority in those categories along with Mike Martinek (for streamers)

Stenonema wrote:
This topic cannot come up without the mention of Pennsylvania's own Don Bastian. I think it is fair to say that he is the leading authority on the subject. All the questions that you may have can be found on his site and blog. Happy tying.
donbastianwetflies.com/?

x2. Can't say that I've ever seen a Bastian salmon fly, mixed wing or otherwise. The Blacker Book is good.

Here's a tutorial by one of the best that explains how it's done:
http://www.classicflytying.com/index.php?showtopic=38682

eunanhendron wrote:
I think it's fair to say you're wrong here. Don doesn''t tie many, if any, mixed wing salmon flies. He's predominantly a Rangeley streamer and Bergman wet guy. Though there is no doubt he's a leading authority in those categories along with Mike Martinek (for streamers)

Stenonema wrote:
donbastianwetflies.com/?

I've corresponded with Don before about quill winged wets. He's a great guy, a great teacher, and his DVDs are very worthwhile. I've never known him to tie salmon flies though.

Thank you for the link. I have an account over at classicflytying but seldom have anything of note to post so I mostly lurk. I'll log in and check it out.

Thank all of you guys for the posts.

I stand corrected. I should have looked and read closer.

No worries Steno. Don makes some very beautiful married wing wets. The Silver Doctor comes to mind.

Definitely get the book by Robert Frandsen. Very easy to understand and you can make mixed wings as tough as you want or as easy as you want. I haven't tied as many as the married wings I've tied, but there sure is a different "touch" to them.

Some of my married wings are still quite married after fishing, not like from off the vise, but not as mixed as mixed wings either. That's half the fun for me...fishing them and seeing what they look like afterwards....and after a steelhead grabs one...even better!!

Thanks Frank. Hope you've been having a good winter and getting up to N.Y. some.

Back