Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Millipede Pattern?

It was in SE PA. I have seen people actually chum a pool whether it be trout pellets, mealies or corn. Get the fish turned on to the bait they have and then put it on their hook and fish.

Could that possibly be the case? Not saying your wrong about the fallen over tree b/c you might be right. Just a possible different scenario that's all. If it had that many millipedes maybe someone was a chummin!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2008/6/20 13:33

From Lock Haven, PA
Look at the bridge piers sometime you are out. I've seen on Fishing Creek thousands of millipedes before on the bridge piers. Especially when the water levels raise they are bound to get in the water.

Posted on: 2008/6/20 22:27

From Chester County
They sure look like millepedes. Here is the closest aquatic insect to the photo you posted - Riffle beetle:

Riffle Beetle Larva

Posted on: 2008/6/21 8:15

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
i would use somthing like this then..

Attach file:

jpg  cranfly sparkle.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2008/6/22 19:43

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Lock Haven, PA
The Millipedes are more of a dark brown on top and a light tan on the bottom and are very skinny. I have a pattern I'll have to post when I get time that uses spanflex and clipped hackle for legs.

Posted on: 2008/6/22 22:33

Cumberland Valley TU puts out a book of favorite patterns. I found the millipede to be quite interesting. I now have 6 of them in my box at all times in the summer. If you get tired of ants and beetles in the heat of a summer afternoon, go to the millipede! I've caught some bigger fish in very heavily fished SEPA streams and thought of this as an underutilized (and under fished) pattern. Oh, well, maybe you will all continue to think that these are other critters. The pattern is by Ron Ahlers and amounts to wrapping a hook with the proper size mono then palmering over the mono with a dark dun hackle and then trimming the hackle very short. I put a slight bend in the hook as I do for caddis patterns. I highly recommend this book, there a lot of great patterns. Some good stories too!

Posted on: 2008/7/28 11:19

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I'm not a professional fly tyer by any means but I would put together a patter pretty similar to the back end of a black stonefly. I know what you're talking about and those millipedes are fairly small. It'd have to be a scud hook to imitate the curve of the bug. I'd use a silly skin or skud back material and tie it like the ribbing of the rear end of my black stoneflies. I may try to make one up and post it, but don't have much time for tying these days. New job is cutting into my hobbies :(

Posted on: 2008/7/31 21:22

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com