Mealworm

Out4Trout

Out4Trout

1st attempt at my own mealworm pattern. Thoughts or suggestions for improvement? Gonna try them out this afternoon.

Attachments

• Meal Worm.JPG
    Meal Worm.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 27
Very nice.

They look nice and will definitely catch fish (they resemble caddis as well as mealworms).

One small detail you may wish to modify: don't wrap the body so far down the bend as this reduces the hook "bite" and will result in lost fish. I like the way a nymph looks wrapped down around the bend, but I try to stop at about the mid part of the curve.

Nice looking worms. the segmentation looks great. i had the same thought as Dave, going so far down the bend of the hook might interfere with your hooking capability. Or it might end up rubbing or being pushed while a fish is hooked and damage the fly faster than it would if you started a little higher. Did you use superglue under the length of the fly to secure it all the way down the hook, or is it just tied in at the top and bottom? the dark thread underneath shows through well and makes for a nice contrasting hotspot. That's a good design and will definitely catch some fish.

No superglue, I used the black thread for a base and then used the same material used for squirmy worms and tied it in at the both ends. Fishes really nice and worked well today for some stockies : )

That's a caddis larva not a meal worm. You will never be accepted in the stodgy twead hat world of fly fishing talking like that.

They look great!

very, very nice. also can be tied using rubber band.

I like to tie meal worms and butter worms with less curve to them

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 9
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 6
Honestly you if you think you are tying those to imitate a meal worm the meal worm actually imitates a caddis larva. As mentioned though I wouldn't go that far down the bend of the hook. They work but I never had as much luck on them as you would think. Seems to be more of a small stream fly for me.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I will tie them a little further back from the hook tip and see how that works. I appreciate the words of encouragement as Im still new to tying and this was my 1st attempt at my own version of anything.

Tight Lines !!

Out4Trout wrote:
1st attempt at my own mealworm pattern. Thoughts or suggestions for improvement? Gonna try them out this afternoon.

Nice job on the fly!

Your "mealworm" pattern looks like a caddis larva (see pic below), so you're fly is actually a hatchmatcher rather than a baitmatcher!! :)

As others have posted, just tie the body a little higher up the hook bend and it will work just fine.

Attachments

• caddis larva.jpg
    caddis larva.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Caddis larva flies.jpg
    Caddis larva flies.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 4
YES, I ALSO USED TO DO THIS WITH RUBBER BANDS. OR FOR THE YINZERS, "GUM BANDS". :)

Back