March Brown Spinner Question

zenherper

zenherper

I am tying up my list of flies for the Jam, but I do not have a pattern for a MB spinner. Does a regular Rusty spinner suffice for this, or do I need a more specific pattern for Penns? Thanks in advance.

Zen,

Take this pattern and tie it in a #10

B-52's

zenherper wrote:
I am tying up my list of flies for the Jam, but I do not have a pattern for a MB spinner. Does a regular Rusty spinner suffice for this, or do I need a more specific pattern for Penns? Thanks in advance.

Presentation is key. Try to get a drag free drift along the top of the trees, about 30 feet above the stream. Slowly work it down toward the surface of the stream over the next half hour, and once you start actually putting it on the water, you might get lucky and get one to eat it before it starts pouring.

That's how the naturals act, anyway.

jayL wrote:
zenherper wrote:

Presentation is key. Try to get a drag free drift along the top of the trees, about 30 feet above the stream. Slowly work it down toward the surface of the stream over the next half hour, and once you start actually putting it on the water, you might get lucky and get one to eat it before it starts pouring.

That's how the naturals act, anyway.

You forgot to add it will be dark too....and it will be dark.

And it will be dark.

And the trail you took through the brush will be GONE.

Thanks Maurice. I will tie those up.

Jay, With my skill and experience, I might be just as successful asking the fish to jump in my net. So, for me, presentation is meh... But at least I will know I'm using what others use to actually catch the fish. haha

It's just a crack on the fact that something always ruined a MB spinner fall for me. I never hit one right, and I tried more times than I care to admit. Bugs either came and never fell for some unknown reason, or a thunderstorm chased them off.

Don't try to drift your fly above the stream. :p

Wait... I have to take trails??? At NIGHT??? Nobody told me that... This isn't what I signed up for. lol

I look forward to it.

Zen,

You can also try them early in the am too. Because they hit the water so late it can be like a left over piece of cold pizza in the morning.

jayL wrote:

Don't try to drift your fly above the stream. :p

And I was just about to start another thread asking how I can drift my fly above the stream. :lol:

Thanks Maurice. But seriously, I don't have a problem fishing at night. I enjoy it. But I may take a headlamp. :)

As far as the fly goes, I think 8 is too big. I tie mine on 12's. MB's are big on Penns but their size is a little exaggerated.

Not that any of this matters because the MB spinner fall is a myth. Sure there will be tons in the air but for some reason they never seem to hit the water they just seem to disappear. At least that is my experience, which is vast concerning MB's and Penns. You will do much better with sulphur spinners which will hit the water. Even if there are only a few in the air compared to the MB's they are just much more reliable.

Good catch Chooch! I meant a #10 so I changed it above...I too believe the MB's are a little overblown in size by the shops up there. But a #10 is good..a #12 is probably on the safe side.

Maurice wrote:
Good catch Chooch! I meant a #10 so I changed it above...I too believe the MB's are a little overblown in size by the shops up there. But a #10 is good..a #12 is probably on the safe side.

I go with a twelve just because I have found fish are more likely to hit a fly slightly undersized than slightly oversized.

I have been playing with a couple patterns. One to try to emulate the B-52's that Maurice suggested, and one from Henry Ramsay's book. However, the one with the Biot has a lighter abdomen. I am using the dark rusty turkey biot, but the are lighter when ties with the ridge side up. Any suggestions on either of these patterns, or a preference for one over the other for the Penns MB's?

Attachments

• Rusty Spinner1.JPG
    Rusty Spinner1.JPG
    592.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Rusty Spinner2.JPG
    Rusty Spinner2.JPG
    623.6 KB · Views: 2
I recently was tying some sz 12 rusty spinners for this event too. I'm sick of drowning flies, and I know it's inevitable, but I started placing a bit of foam over the top of the poly wing, almost like a wing case on a nymph. Yeah it's only a bit of foam and might not make a difference, but we'll see how it works out.

Chooch wrote:
...the MB spinner fall is a myth. Sure there will be tons in the air but for some reason they never seem to hit the water they just seem to disappear. At least that is my experience, which is vast concerning MB's and Penns. You will do much better with sulphur spinners which will hit the water. Even if there are only a few in the air compared to the MB's they are just much more reliable.

They land in fast broken water. That's why you don't see many on the water or being taken by trout in the smoother pools, runs, and flats.

Kev

Back