Marabou

kelso2340

kelso2340

looking to start tying some meat flies. Never really messed with streamers much so i need some advice. What kind of marabou do you guys recommend to tie some big 2-4 articulated meat flies? By which kind I mean which will work the best for big chunks of feather? Thanks for any input guys.

What kind of fish are you after? If it is small mouth bass i would recommend forming a body out of deer hair and then tying marabou over top of it. The deer hair will prevent the marabou from collapsing and losing mass.

I think your lookin for blood marabou nice long webby stuff. Like what Kelly Galloup use to tye his "Stacked Blond" with.

Yea the blood marabou is best for the big pike flies and what not. Use extra select or bugger marabou for smb and steelhead. Don't use cheap thread either i use the heavy duty floss or kevlar.

Gartside streamer is a nice one. I am lucky and know some hunters so I have a whole turkey skin with lots of it on there. Gfen showed this pattern to me and he uses the strung stuff.

looking to ties these for big browns

its a bit more spendy... but the spirit river tip dyed is killer
super thin barbs
might not be what you are looking for... but worth a look

I use strung blood quills by hareline for peanut envy's and other articulated streamers.

Not to derail the topic, but a question for those of you who use strung marabou, how in the heck do you "pluck" your feathers from the string? I tried cutting the string, plucking the feathers off the string, all seem to result in a lot of wasted plumes. I'm also coming to the conclusion that the vendors are string small useless plumes near the string to make the product look more appealing.

JH

i just grab a single plum at the end of the string (if i want the one in the middle i cut the strings at that point) at the base and rotate around the string till it breaks

Back